Getting ready to buy an 80 series hoping for some advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, I’m getting ready to buy another Landcruiser. I’m hoping to replace the ‘97 40th anniversary landcruiser I used to own. With a collectors edition w/lockers.
What mileage should I be willing to except? I know service history has a lot to do with it but let’s be honest 90% of the 80’s have been serviced minimalist and are being sold now that maintenance need is going up. As well as what should I be expecting to pay? I have seen such a huge spread in pricing and mileage’s that I’m a bit frustrated and burned out looking. If I find a good one I honestly doubt I’ll sell it as it’s the only vehicle out of 31 that I have owned I wish I still had. I’m fully capable of rebuilding pretty close to anything and electrical work is a cousin to my day job. While I’m sitting on plenty of $ to pay the high end in cash I’m not interested in paying for anyone else’s centimental hangups which seems to be a theme in landcruiser owners.
The trend I’m seeing is factory lockers add $2500 to the value. The ‘97 collector edition landcruiser is selling for $3500 above blue book if under 200k ~$15k and if over 210k they drop 1/2 the value. at most asking $11,500 in “perfect” condition from a dealership. At 300k $3500 all day on Craigslist. Which may still be a way to go assuming I rebuild the entire car and put in $15k to restoration from jump instead of nickel and dime along the way.

What monetary value do the aftermarket accessories actually add to a sale?
Example ARB winch bumper $900 new = ? In added resale value.
I keep seeing built out and trail used LC expecting to get full retail for the beat up accessories and I just can’t buy into that when my insurance company paid me out 35% for the aftermarket add on’s when I lost the first LC.

I guess I’m asking what miles are too high?
And what is a fair price by mileage 100k, 150k, 200k, 250k, 300k?
Accessory value installed on the vehicle.

On a side note:
If you have a ‘97 collectors edition w/lockers around 150k miles or less you want to sell let me know.

Thank you

The prices are all over the place, these are 22 years old and gaining more miles, you could find one from 6K - 16K , my friend sold his it had 157K 3X ARB front OME lift OBA he got 13K for his 94

These are mostly questions you have to answer for yourself. You won't find a consensus on here. As far as the mods go, there value depends on your want. If you the truck your considering has the mods you actually are going to want to install then the value is high. If there are items you don't want then they add little. Sounds simple i know but many folks will say mods are worth %50 at best. I disagree. If im looking at an 80 with the lift, bumper, sliders and winch that i was planning on installing myself then they would have a lot of value to me. Why would i cap 5k in value at $2500 if i was going to spend $5 buying the exact same thing on a truck without them. I also would not be willing to pay an extra $2500 for $5k worth of items i had no interest in leaving on my truck.

Depends on intended use, buying a classic car is a very different conversation than a trail rig. IMHO, at this age, overall condition is more important than miles, so a good inspection is more valuable than a stack of receipts.

DO you want to wrench on it forever to make/keep it as a collectable, daily drive it, or wheel the snot out of it?

I’m hoping for a daily driver / trail rig. Go camping, out in the woods, use it tow the jet skis and around town. (My side streets at 60mph so I will burn out off road tires quickly)

I agree with the accessories to a point keeping in mind wear and tear.

I’m not against wrenching it but I would like to know it’s not the domino effect but at 250k miles it’s probably more jinga lol

Thank you for your input. It really helped put things into perspective and made sense about the accessories. I almost bit on a landcruiser but I couldn’t get comfortable with the high mileage. I went a similar but completely different direction in off road vehicles and bought a Hummer H1

Thank you for your input. It really helped put things into perspective and made sense about the accessories. I almost bit on a landcruiser but I couldn’t get comfortable with the high mileage. I went a similar but completely different direction in off road vehicles and bought a Hummer H1
Well, let us know when you sell it and come back to a Land cruiser!

A friend bought an army H1. He said it suct. Too heavy and suspension travel was bad. Too wide for many trails too.

Good luck, though!

I still own a ‘74 FJ40 so I will be around.
I live in the desert of southern CA were off roading is mostly sand dunes, desert, and rocks. It’s rarely trail driving. The FJ has me pretty used to going slow lol. With the CTIS and stock 37” tires and ability to lock the differentials the Hummer should be perfect for my needs. If I find it doesn’t do what I need I will sell it and try something else. Maybe an UMM Alter II?

I wonder what your friend was expecting the hummer to be? It’s aluminum and only 6000lbs gross weight, it’s narrower than my 2018 Ram Power Wagon, shorter than a full sized 4 door sedan, and only 75” tall so it’s really not as big as you would expect it to be. With 16” of travel stock and the entire vehicle designed to achieve maximum travel over obstacles it sounds like your friend didn’t know how to drive it or picked the wrong vehicle for his environment. It won’t fit down jeep trails, but it will fit in tank ruts and go fully under water. both things that are practical every day needs 😂

I was thinking H2 when I read that. An actual H1 is a good deal if you can use it how you need! It's pretty wide, compared to an 80.

14” wider

0E0C0394-D823-4301-9D65-40FAFFB3BF04.jpeg

I would think in your neck of the woods you would have a pretty good selection of 80's.

The 80’s are all high mileage and need restoration. The sunshine is great for rust but hard on rubber. I agree its a great place to buy cars for restoration but it’s hard on a daily driver and worse on a vehicle that’s been sitting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom