Getting parts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can anyone give me the skinny on ordering JDM parts through CDN Toy dealers? I haven't encountered this yet, since my truck is still on the boat, but when I finally do venture into their parts department, I fully expect them to say "Can't do it."

What I really want to know is: Is it that they "can't" do it...or more that they "won't"? Suppose I walk in there with a part # from the EPC, is there any good reason for them not to order the part for me?

Sheldon and/or Greg, any thought of bringing in some 2L-TE parts or wrecked LJ78s?

Just hoping to arm myself with some info before talking to the parts person.

Thanks!
Robin

they are not allowed by Toyota Canada to sell any parts that are not on the NA micro or EPC. they are not allowed to even sell industrial or forklift parts...
cheers

light_duty said:
Can anyone give me the skinny on ordering JDM parts through CDN Toy dealers?

rson.

Thanks!
Robin

there will be some cross over for parts(sold on a NA model), thats say came on a BJ70. ordering other certain parts can come from 4wheelAuto.

or maybe some from ENS.

The 2L-t engine(not TE) came in 86-88 yota CND trucks. so some parts will work for ya on the NA EPC.

Also you might have to order parts from places overseas.

If your ordering generic jobber parts to install on toyotas, some parts may cross over and some will not. So make sure they are returnable.

now many don't understand spending a lot of money to fix up CND cruisers, but I see it from a different point. Your example of parts isn't my major concern if I bought a JDM, but its one of them. With CND spec I can buy any parts(almost) from yota,

So I don't see CND specs as being the old rip off they are portrayed as.

JDMs maybe nice and rust free, but the odd ball ones like 78's and others are hard to find parts(not impossible) and are RHD.

Of course the 61's and 81's might be easier as similar models were sold here. So way more cross over for parts.

I agree, but some people seem to want just as much for CDN specs as new less KM JDM's, but I guess that is partly the reason, it is getting to the point already, that selling my truck is just something that isn't ever gonna happen unless someone with a big wallet takes my price of 16 000, lol.

get a welder, keep the rust of yer cdn rigs and lets all show the world why land cruisers are legendary!

I think what you (we) are going to discover is Toyota will start dropping parts for certian models like the BJ60's, and BJ42's as they pass the 20 year barrier. This is already happening, and the after market is picking up some of it. Some things even new after market will not pick up and it will be left to the network of those who have been hoarding and have back yards full of dissasembled trucks. Consider some brake lines...already discontinued for some models---yes, you can form your own, but this is the start.

Many people with Cdn cruisers already order their rebuild kits direct from Oz.

So, I believe the thought that if it was Cdn and not JDM it will be supported for years down the road by Toyota is not correct.

Yes, there are certain items with the JDM's that will have to be ordered overseas...no question. There are also a growing number of business's putting parts on the shelf, (this is very good imo) or have contact direct to Japan and Oz. A small piece by air is only days away, if not on the shelf. We are (G&S) slowly filling boxes with little bits and pieces off parted trucks.

There is a list started on this forum of cross over applications for North American supplied parts.

Robin, to your question: Sounds like you have EPC. Good. I always pull the number and try our local Toyota. If you live close to a Lexus dealer, build a relationship, as some numbers a regular Toyota dealer can not get the Lexus can. If the Lexus can't, then onto Ens, 4wheelauto, or any other importers you can plug into.

No, we have not considered getting into buying parts rigs of the LD LC variety at this point. Seeing as the 2L was a NA engine at one point, there is some service. Also, run the EPC number in the model application page, to get the cross over applications. Many times you can cross it to a NA application...

hth's

gb

Last edited:
crushers said:
they are not allowed by Toyota Canada to sell any parts that are not on the NA micro or EPC. they are not allowed to even sell industrial or forklift parts...
cheers

Seems kind of weird in a way. Here in Guatemala I can walk into the local dealer and he will first look at the locally sold trucks but he has access to all the markets and will sell whatever parts I need provided he has or can get them (my Canadian BJ60 shows up on the European EPC). The only place I've been stonewalled was parts for the PTO winch head. They told me that they were not going to bring that in. That's when I go to the local jobber and say "I need this seal" and there it is!!

it all seems weird too, me. I know there are alot of people doing an excellent job on the aftermarket side out there, and some of the part are even better then OEM, but being able to call the yota dealer and havin parts the next day is really really nice.

It doesn't make sense we don't have the option of buying good toyota trucks, and I really mean that, tundras, tacoma's 4 runners are fine, but why don't they offer diesels in them. I want a real truck like a new LC or a hilux, if they think there isn't a market there wrong!

i have a feeling the reason Toyota is clampin gdown is the loss (although minor) of their new units.
for every LJ78, LJ71, BJ74, BJ71, there goes a 4RUNNER, or other small light duty 4X sale.
for every HDJ81, HJ61, there goes a Lexus, Hilander sale.
and all the parts associated with that sale and the service as well.

it doesn't sound like much but over the last 3 years i am sure Toyota has noticed the pimple that is growing.

there are many parts, as Greg aluded to, that Toyota Canada has stopped stocking for the 3B and B engines. though many still love their CDM cruisers there will come a time when buyin gparts for them will be as difficult as buying for a JDM.
i work on both on a regualr basis and have watched as Toyota has abandoned the older LAnd Cruisers. you have to relaise as well that Toyota is in the business to make money and stocking parts for a 20 year old truck that was a rare beast when new, does not make much sense.

Greg and Seldon seem to be more into the HD version of the JDM cruiser and i am into both. i will be bringing in parts rigs as space provides.

cheers

Thanks everyone for your input. Looks like we're going to remain a 2-car family for the next while. With a young kid, hard to get by without a vehicle - even for a couple of days, let alone the time it might take to get a new part from overseas. So I think we'll need a backup car. Mind you, having a aging Westfalia as a backup is a little like using the water boy as yer second quarterback!

One thing I'm hoping is that (as far as I know) a lot of the LJ drivetrain parts are shared with the Hilux Surf/4Runner and at least some of the chassis parts/interior parts are shared with other 70 series trucks.

I don't have the EPC yet - that's a project for next weekend!

Cheers,
Robin

Last edited:
I agree with Greg about the cdm cruiser parts, many won't be available soon. I think this is eveident when parts are ordered and they tell you that they are "special order" - or non-returnable if it's the wrong one. I thnk it's thier way of clearing out old stock.

Light-duty, a friend of mine had a westfalia, a pipe of some sort went on it and he waited 6 weeks for that part - had to come from europe. So, I hope you're not relying on that one:)

Regards.

light_duty said:
One thing I'm hoping is that (as far as I know) a lot of the LJ drivetrain parts are shared with the Hilux Surf/4Runner and at least of the chassis parts/interior parts are shared with other 70 series trucks.Cheers,Robin

Yes, and EPC will help you lots.

gb

crushers said:
and all the parts associated with that sale and the service as well. it doesn't sound like much but over the last 3 years i am sure Toyota has noticed the pimple that is growing.cheers

Then at least supply the parts and make money that way. Chances are though, that many of the parts would be stored in the Ont, Cali warehouse, and take longer to get to a Cdn dealer then if you connected with a dealer overseas and had it flown out, or used the growing network of suppliers in Canada.

gb

Last edited:
crushers said:
i have a feeling the reason Toyota is clampin gdown is the loss (although minor) of their new units.
for every LJ78, LJ71, BJ74, BJ71, there goes a 4RUNNER, or other small light duty 4X sale.
and all the parts associated with that sale and the service as well.

An easy solution! Offer them for sale here (Canada & USA) new! All the whining about emissions standards etc. to me is a cop out. If VW and Chrysler can offer diesels that meet emissions so can Toyota.

I'll drive my CDM '82 BJ60 until either one of several things happen, 1) the truck finally up an dies and CANNOT be repaired or 2) it rusts out from under me (and I'm making sure that doesn't happen [rust free BJ60 frame in the next month or so]), so Toyota Canada also looses a sale of a new vehicle to me as well and when they discontinue parts then they also loose that!

Last edited:
i do not agree with their ruling but i am trying to understand it.
one other way to look at it, if 100 HJ61s came into Canada and say 100 of each other model then does it make sense for Toyota to start stocking parts for such a few number? there would be thousands of dollars invested in parts for the POSSIBLE sale of hundreds...
even Dan is refusing to stock part till he sees a decent number of each truck being imported. his reasoning is the same, parts on a shelf do not make money, parts going out the door do.

cheers

I am not sure if the same market that buys JDM 81's and 61's would buy a highlander or lexus - or even a toyota for that matter.

I think that it's about the cost of bringing in parts, cataloging, manpower, distrubution etc - that all costs money and I don't think they want to support a vehicle that they don't even sell here.

Toyota Land Cruisers sell themselves, I think they'll sell, there the best muilty purpose 4 wheel drive vechicle ever! Maybe it is just north americans can't get over the apperence, or they just like to buy s***ty trucks, but have you ever noticed how many LandCruisers there are in movies.

to name a few

Diamond hunter FJ70 wagon
Dantes peak FJ70 wagon
50 first dates Fj45 "PIG" pretty new release

those are three I can think off off the top of my head, I know they arn't diesels but you can't even buy a good petro LC anymore in north america

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom