General Y-Pipe Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Getting ready to do some exhaust work on 97 LX450- new gaskets at manifold / y-pipe, putting a converter back on, and possibly replacing y-pipe. Current y-pipe has about 220K miles on it. Truck has not seen road salt (even though it’s now in Indiana). The Y-pipe looks solid and is not cracked, just appears to be surface rust coated from age and heat cycles associated with 220K miles and 22 years of age. Would anyone recommend replacing factory y-pipe with Magnaflow “while I’m in there”, just due to age and heat cycles? Or would you just replace gaskets and slap a converter in and run it? Don’t want to spend money replacing good parts but I don’t know the life span of these factory y-pipes, either.

After doing this a few times, I’d keep the factory Y pipe if it’s not cracked at the crotch. But that means it’s connected to the front cat. So unless you are cutting and welding you may only have one option.

FWIW my MF crapped out after two years and needed to be replaced.

After doing this a few times, I’d keep the factory Y pipe if it’s not cracked at the crotch. But that means it’s connected to the front cat. So unless you are cutting and welding you may only have one option.

FWIW my MF crapped out after two years and needed to be replaced.
Thanks, Joey. Pipe’s already been cut to delete cats- by PO. So cutting again to put a cat back in is no problem.

The factory Y is very restrictive. Aftermarket will provide much more flow or you can go custom for the maximum flow/performance

The factory Y is very restrictive. Aftermarket will provide much more flow or you can go custom for the maximum flow/performance
Phil is that aftermarket or custom?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom