Gear oil from from front drum area (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys I have my first fj60 landcruiser and I just noticed gear oil all over my front driver side tire and it seems to be leaking somewhere from the front left tire area. Where could this be coming from? Hopefully it's not too difficult of a fix. Thanks for any input guys.

Sounds like the axle seals are leaking and it is time for a front axle rebuild. If you search the forum you will find many links to the rebuild process as well as in the tech section. You are in for a not too difficult, but requiring patience job. You can get a kit with the parts from Cruiser Outfitters or Marlin Crawlers.

Post some pictures of the inside of the tire where it meets the knuckle.

Here is a youtube video to give you an idea: Toyota front knuckle, hub, and brake service overhaul Video #1 Removal.

The very last step of disassembly of the knuckle is pulling the old axle seal and replacing. Many videos and instructions on rebuilding knuckles here. 84' chassis and body FSM covers this rebuild in detail under the (FA) front axle section.

go here and download the FSM. For Sale - 40, 50, 60, and 80 series FSM for a hell of a price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom