Water coming in from windshield area (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I purchased a partially restored FJ62. Truck had been painted but the weather stripping was not replaced.

After a rain, it looks as a lot of water is coming in from the windshield area especially when the brakes are applied.

I'm thinking this is a weatherstripping issue, but wanted to check if there's anything else I should be looking for while at seeing to this.

I have read that when the weather stripping is replaced there is a product that needs to be applied under the stripping to ensure a seal and I'll source that.

Hopefully the windshield stays in one piece...

HS

I don’t have a clear trace of where it’s coming from but the amount of water that seems to be building and then coming down is pretty substantial.

HS

Check this thread:

my culprit was mostly the old and brittle seam sealer in and on the side of the cowl had rusted out sheet metal. if it's the issue, you'll likely need to remove the fender to access and properly fix the problem.

I’m thinking the fender will definitely have to come off, but I will run the hose test first to attempt to narrow potential leak areas.

HS

There probably is debris inside the cowl area, remove the access panels at the top of the firewall and vacuum the dried leaves / pine needles.

Popped off the side vents and this is what I'm looking at... Is there a way to remove that piece so I can see the cobra head?

I looked under and around and I can see the drain tube is attached.

Starting to work popping off the cowl plugs...took a break so I didn't tear the DS one up....it looks very breakable....LOL.

HS

IMG_4672.jpeg

That is the duct to the cooling fan underneath the hood- on the driver’s side only.

The access panels to the cowl are somewhat brittle but you can get them out by carefully flexing them when prying up an edge.

This is the air duct - I added bug screen to keep insects out of the cooling fan. Picture is from inner side of the fender.
IMG_0158.jpeg

Adding this for reference :

Bottom of A-pillar on driver’s side has a small gap open to the exterior (curved shape of light shining through)
This seems to allow water in if you do not have mudflaps.

IMG_0168.jpeg

IMG_0169.jpeg

This is from the exterior- I dropped a knife through the gap.
Seems like this is intended to allow water to drain out if captive in the A-pillar?
Regardless, on my 60 this gap is plugged up with debris and there seems to be less water coming in there. I don’t run with mudflaps on either vehicle’s front wheels.

These pictures speak volumes.

Great information to help me along my path....thank you! Makes my life a lot easier.

HS

@davegonz did a great job using the 16" x 24" universal condenser. I see it had #6 and #8 lines.

Does anyone know what size the stock lines are for the OEM condenser? I'm away from the FJ and won't be able to get to it till sometime next week.

Thanks.

HS

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom