Gave my guage cluster the spa treatment (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

firefighterjed

SILVER Star
Threads
Took my dash apart. Painted the needles, cleaned the glass and installed LEDs. Used 104-WWHP5 from www.superbrightleds.com These LEDS are slightly taller than the shroud in the cluster so you have to tweak the shroud away from its base a little to give the vertical space necessary. The light is warm white and looks nice in the cluster. Not overly cold, blue, and bright.
Used 194-G-90 for the turn signals which is perfect perfectly equal to the OEM brighness.
The 194-B-90 for the high beam is pretty good. A little dim, but at least it’s not distracting like a brighter LED that some others have used.

I also did a very smart modification to the tabs on the bottom of the cluster. I ground them down short enough that they still work, but the cluster can be removed without disconnecting the speedo cable first. This allows easier access for bulb changes and feeding wiring across the dash panel.

Last edited:
Very nice.
Thanks for the part numbers.

Looks great! How many of each bulb do you need?

Also, does anyone know if the same green bulb fits the heater control light?

Cluster needs five total. For two white lights I used this bulb 194 LED Bulb - 5 SMD LED Tower - Miniature Wedge Base | Super Bright LEDs

But just now while I was getting that url I saw that they’ve added a product that looks even better. It looks like it’s more compact and shorter. May not require tweaking the shroud. That would be nice.

Here’s the item I used for the turn and high beam.
2 green and one blue. You could use white, because the cluster has colored lenses. And the stock bulbs are white, but i didn’t want them to be too bright and the colored ones have lower lumen output.

Looks great! How many of each bulb do you need?

Also, does anyone know if the same green bulb fits the heater control light?
Heater light bulb is different. It’s a buss style rather than wedge style light. I’ve ordered and LED to replace mine, but haven’t done the work yet, so no pics.

Thanks for the info looks GREAT! I will be ordering the same bulbs right now. Anything else to know about as far as taking the cluster out for the first time? Also these run on the same fuses? No upgrades necessary just new lights? thx

Thanks for the info looks GREAT! I will be ordering the same bulbs right now. Anything else to know about as far as taking the cluster out for the first time? Also these run on the same fuses? No upgrades necessary just new lights? thx
There are tabs at the bottom of the cluster, so removing it is a tilt toward you, then lift motion. The speedo cable prevents the lift, so you’ve got to remove it first.
It’s difficult and challenging to remove the speedo cable from the back of the cluster the first time.
There’s a white plastic clip which you have to press the tab on, then pull straight back. I needed a flat blade screwdriver to wiggle and pry between the cable and its base to start it moving.
After you get the cluster out, remove most of the tabs with a grinder. Then you can pull the cluster out with the speedo connected, and have room to grasp and remove the speedo.

Also, tape the paint below the cluster. When you tilt it out it has a tendency to scratch the dash below the cluster.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom