gas mileage (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My new-to-me hundy with 120k miles on the odo got 18-19MPG on 89 octane while cruising two-lane highways in Oregon at around 55-60MPH.

Freeway mileage at 65-70 dropped to around 16. Makes a big difference.

...and we all know using regular may/does decrease milage by 1-2 miles per gallon...

I don't "know" this.

Estimates are all over the place, and I've yet to see any kind of rigorous comparison. My MPG's per tank on mid-grade range anywhere from 11-20 MPG. I have yet to exactly replicate load, environment, road, driving style, maintenance, route, seasonal blend differeneces of the fuel, tire PSI and wear, and distance conditions for a tank of both regular and premium (all of which probably affect MPG much more than a 89-91 octance difference). And then you'd have to do it over multiple tanks, like 10-12. So it'd take lots of time/money to do a serious comparison of premium v regular gas. Most people don't have the time, money or even the desire to do this, so they do a tank of each (or maybe even a few tanks of each, but without controlling for all the conditions listed above) and throw out seat-of-the-pants number of 1-2 MPG without doing a real comparison that controls for all the noise factors that influence MPG thinking that 1-2 MPG represents some nominal change. But 1-2 MPG is 7-15% change - a big deal if true.

...What would happen if the vehicles were treated with the same gas ?

I'd "guess" that the difference would be minimal, and within the noise of tank-to-tank MPG variation, but I can't substantiate my guess with any real, valid data...

I said "hadn't improved much". The 62 has equivalent, maybe more, cargo space than an 80 or 100 without the 3rd row seating deployed...

give it up, man... :lol::lol:

The FJ62 had a spec'd cargo capacity according to the factory literature of only 950 lbs. The 2011 200-series has a cargo capacity of 1590 lbs - a 67% increase. So yeah, the spaces aren't all that different (though i give the nod to the newer ones having owned a 60, 80 and a 100, but the newer ones just simply do more with less. Oh, and they're also ULEV-II for emissions.

I get around 13mpg, Boston Traffic, 305's and yakima bars sticking up in the wind. I use the most cost effective fuel I can find. I Ih8mud sitcker along with the NRA stricker got me maybe a 1/2 mpg :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom