gas fumes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello I have a 1970 fj40 and I am getting a lot of gas fumes Inside the vehicle.
I have no visible leaks.next week I am going to pull the seat and start trying to track
It down. Do you guys have any suggestions? Thanks

If your fuel system is stock and intact, you will have 3 vents coming off the top of the tank that go to a fuel separator (I believe on the older 40's the separator is located under the front bench seat) that has one line coming off the separator going to a charcoal filter under the hood. I believe there is a check valve in the line somewhere. More than likely one of the lines is clogged, the separator or the check valve is cracked or the charcoal canister is full. Worst case is your tank has a pin hole in it.

We may be doing a wrenching session sometime soon on the Northshore on a 40 or 2. If you can't figure it out let us know and we'll get together to help you out.

I definitely want to join.that's why I wonted to know when was the next time you guys were meeting.I drove the LC to
cruisin the coast .we went the back way and I think 55mph was about the most I wonted to push it but it was OK because
There was know traffic. Now driveing the causeway I think would be a different storie.oh I only saw two fj40 at cruising the coast.

The weekend of Cruisin' the Coast was the same weekend as the Southern Cruiser Crawl (SCC) which is hosted by the Ms Land Cruiser Club, the CottonLand Cruisers, and it's held in Hot Springs, AR. So, most of us were there. And there's no reason you can't cross the Causeway. Stay in the right lane at 55 and you're good, especially on the weekend. ;)

I did a some searching and could not find a charcoal canister. I went to SOR and found that my year does not have one.
Looks like they started putting them on in 72. So I am guessing there must be a vent tube that has come off..

My mistake. I didn't realize the difference in the tank. Looks like there is only one vent line coming off the top of the older tanks. But it also looks like it runs to a check valve of some sort. You might check there as well.

If your fuel system is stock and intact, you will have 3 vents coming off the top of the tank that go to a fuel separator (I believe on the older 40's the separator is located under the front bench seat) that has one line coming off the separator going to a charcoal filter under the hood. I believe there is a check valve in the line somewhere. More than likely one of the lines is clogged, the separator or the check valve is cracked or the charcoal canister is full. Worst case is your tank has a pin hole in it.

the separator in a '71/'72 FJ40 is in the back of the middle of the bench seat - there are no valves in the lines, not that it matters

there are two possible scenarios to the smell:

1) you have the OEM configuration of lines from the tank and to and from the separator: then, it's possible that one of the lines is leaking or not tightly enough connected to either the separator or the tank - happened to me - I was filling up the gas tank at the station and the fuel dripped right out again from the bottom of the passenger floor due to a line having gotten loose :eek:

or 2) your separator has been removed, the lines have been capped, and there is no provision for capture and condensation of fuel vapor: then, you'd get a smell in the cab from slight pressure in the tank, since there is no venting/recovery option available - in this case, you could either find a stock separator, or rig up the later year (and smaller) fuel separator that was close to the tank inlet on the passenger side fender. Both will do the job, so it's your call - but you will have smell without one.

oh yeah, the lines aren't coming off the top of the tank, either, but to the side - sorry Mike :flipoff2:

if you are close I could have a look at it this weekend - otherwise, sometime after the Thanksgiving week - probably easier to just shoot a few pics and post them here . . .

Last edited:
the separator in a '71/'72 FJ40 is in the back of the middle of the bench seat - there are no valves in the lines, not that it matters

there are two possible scenarios to the smell:

1) you have the OEM configuration of lines from the tank and to and from the separator: then, it's possible that one of the lines is leaking or not tightly enough connected to either the separator or the tank - happened to me - I was filling up the gas tank at the station and the fuel dripped right out again from the bottom of the passenger floor due to a line having gotten loose :eek:

or 2) your separator has been removed, the lines have been capped, and there is no provision for capture and condensation of fuel vapor: then, you'd get a smell in the cab from slight pressure in the tank, since there is no venting/recovery option available - in this case, you could either find a stock separator, or rig up the later year (and smaller) fuel separator that was close to the tank inlet on the passenger side fender. Both will do the job, so it's your call - but you will have smell without one.

oh yeah, the lines aren't coming off the top of the tank, either, but to the side - sorry Mike :flipoff2:

if you are close I could have a look at it this weekend - otherwise, sometime after the Thanksgiving week - probably easier to just shoot a few pics and post them here . . .

Thanks I live in metairie and on vacation all next week were Are you located?

Baton Rouge - but next week I will be traveling for Thanksgiving - maybe post some pics of what you have ? makes is much easier to diagnose/suggest something

I forgot another possibility, which Mike already mentioned: 3) tank has a leak/hole - the most effective remedy there would be a new tank.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom