Garmin GPS 276C? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Found this pic of my rig on IH8MUD. Will still take some better ones tonight though I do think you guys get the drift how this works.

attachment.php

wetlands.......one of least favorite words :D

Boston Mangler said:
Hey, what kinda work you do/did? I am a Land Surveyor and use it for mapping wetlands and such too! As for tree coverage issues, we noticed the Topcon unit worked awesome and the Trimble unit not so good.

Anyway, for you other guys, POST SOME PICS!!! Especially Bongani, i am very interested in that suction mount and curious how it fits/looks! :D

Bongani said:
gbell

Sorry dude but this is incorrect. The RAM mount use a quick release bracket that secures the GPS to the mount. If I need to remove the GPS for security reason then I leave the mount against the windscreen and just clip the GPS off.

Oops.. I should have said they didn't have a quick release for the street pilot series. I saw the picture above that post how the mount screws to the cradle. With the Street pilot, it screws to the cradle the GPS comes with.. but that cradle feels like it could break if constantly removing the gps from it. Sorry should have clearified. That mount for the 276C does look nice.

Curious though, on the newer 95+ rigs, What about that ledge right infront of the clock.. Is there ledge enough room to mount a GPS there?

Attached are some more detailed pics.

Last edited:
I have a RAM mount (windsheild suction mount) for my GPS V and have used it for about 3 years. It works well, but sometimes -- on very hot days -- it will release. I'd suggest mounting it lower on the windshield, i.e. closer to the dash, so if it does release, the gps doesn't have far to fall.

I called to order my RAM Mount, I had doubts between the two available mounts for my GPS. The person at GPSCITY told me that the smaller suction cup had a stronger hold than the larger one.

I've had no problems with it falling off. The only times when it has released is when I've been trying to get the GPS on or off the bracket. I think it has to do, like Doug says with temperature.

Regards

Alvaro

Bongani said:
Attached are some more detailed pics.

Awesome! Thanks, i am sold!

Does it vibrate or move around a lot?

Is it easily removeable for a suncreen or anything?

Thanks

Boston Mangler said:
Awesome! Thanks, i am sold!

Does it vibrate or move around a lot?

Is it easily removeable for a suncreen or anything?

Thanks
I have the same suction cup (different bracket...different GPS)
It doesn't move at all.

It's pretty easy to remove -- look at the pic, you'll see a little tab on the suction cup. You can pull on that to break the seal. I just leave mine on there. If you wanted to remove the gps only, you could loosen the knob on the side (the other side of the side view pic) and remove just the unit (with bracket) quite easily.

NorCalDoug said:
It's pretty easy to remove -- look at the pic, you'll see a little tab on the suction cup. You can pull on that to break the seal. I just leave mine on there. .

Cool, thanks! I would just be removing it for my sunscreen!

Very slick unit!

THanks

Mine has a knob you turn to release or set on the windshield.
Otherwise identical.

Alvaro

The quickest way to remove the GPS only is to use the quick release tab on the bracket on the left hand side of the GPS screen. No need to take the RAM mount bracket appart. The suction cup in the RAM mount is almost 2 years old now. It use to fall off once every month or so until I cleaned the windscreen inside and gave the suction cup a good gob of spit.

The suction cup in my pic is the older type. RAMMounts released the new smaller but lockable (according to the product guide) cup which is suppose to be stronger in the first quarter of 2005.

You might check out the Garmin Quest 2. It has a track back feature that the Garmin tech support dude told me the 276C (and soon to be released updated 376c) does not have. Q2 is also pre-loaded from Garmin with all us street info (but not the topo info). As a side note, Garmin said there will be some new software out hopefully by Christmas that will be a big step over all current topo stuff.

1 BIG thing i notice the 276C has over the Quest 2 (which is still a very nice unit) is the upgradeable Memory (big one for me)

I have never had a GPS unit before and have been looking for one that could be used in my LX450 and my boat. The 276C seems to fit the bill perfectly. I have some questions about the cartography. It comes with pre-installed basemaps. Are these adequate for street travel and for boat travel? What additional info is provided by the Bluechart and the additional street maps? How much additional equipment (ie...mounting kits, additional maps, $$$, etc.) is neccessary to get up and running with enough functionality to make this a useful tool? Would like to know before I take the plunge only to find out more is needed.

Thanks,
Keith

There are maps already installed on the unit, but the resolution and detail are minimal.

What you will want to do is purchase the series of maps that Garmin makes available, which includes:

blue chart: For ocean travel
US Topo: for topo's ;) (though detail is marginal, but better than nothing)
MetroGuide USA: For cities and streets
World Map: High level detail for the entire globe

You can also find digital maps for sale be smaller companies, that may specialize on an area. I have used (and really like) lbmaps www.lbmaps.com for Baja, Mexico.

Hope this helps :)

I was just starting to think about a GPS System. So for the cruiser, its $500 plus what other stuff?

Also, how much are topo maps and how much area do they cover?

I recently picked up the latest version of Garmin's Mapsource City Select, North America v6. It has the "unlock code" that allows you to unlock all maps for all regions.

I have it loaded onto my GPS V, but it also works with the 276C. I really like the maps and the informaiton provided with City Select.

Some useless information

Mapsource City Select may be legally loaded up to two GPS units without any additional costs.

I recently got the Quest (gold-ish color) and it's great. It can read street and topo, windshield mount, voice and color screen.
It has fixed memory but I was able to fit all of CA from the bay area down to Yuma (Mex border) Phoenix/Sedona/Flagstaff and most of that region, Denver... and a bit more. It still had a bit of memory left.

I will empty some when I load in some topo maps but I overloaded the street maps just to see how much would fit. You can selectively pick areas you want downloaded onto your NAV, so that's good for trip planning.

The big drawback is none of it MAC compatible so that sucks. For PC users, it's a snap.

Garmin has the basic Topo CD that covers the USA, and a more detailed Nat'l Parks version as well. The Streetmap CD came w/ my unit. I think it comes w/ all of them.

My first gps, so I haven't used it offroad yet. The street guidance is awesome- for example, I had a meeting in an unfamiliar area and needed to hit a Kinkos to make some copies. Just punch it in and it shows all the Kinkos nearby and step by step directions. A real time saver for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom