Garage heat (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've got a 1200 sq ft garage seperate from my house and have a list a mile long to do to the 40 and the 80 this winter. I'm looking for some type of heating unit. I'm in favour of some sort of built in unit as apposed to a space heater. Any suggestions?

It depends alot on what fuel source you have available and how high the ceiling is. I'd be tempted to use a unit heater or a radiant tube heater if you have natural gas or propane available but you'd need at least a 10 or 12' ceiling so you don't burn yourself if you get too close!

I don't like having flame in the garage, so I went with electric oil filled radiators. Works good - more expensive than gas, though.

I think I could lay a gas line out there, actually thinking of putting in a bathroom too. Wife hates her kitchen sink turning black when I wash my hands. I hadn't thought of the radiant overhead heat. The rafters are 10'. I use the space above for storage.

I have a radiant heat tube spanning the 60' section of my 40x60. I have an eleven foot roof. It is fired off Propane. Works real well. Not sure if I would want to have it in any closer to the ground, as it heats objects, and it does a damn fine job! I was in a 25x20 that I heated with a old home furnace. It worked well, but the radiant heat is a far better set up.

-Steve

I live in the mountains where fire wood is abundant and free. Fire hazard is not an issue since I'm a welder and everything was already setup for safety all the way down to the chemical cabinets. With the fan on, it only takes about 30 minutes to bring it up to a comfortable temp, from the 10 degree area. I can even cook my lunch on it or make a hot beverage for the trail (I've been known to skip out for some wheeling on slow days or to test a mod on my 40).

we use a natural gas heater mounted on the wall....works great!

cruiserrg uses radiant floor heating and he says that if he spills water, it is evaporated 1/2 hour later! sweet!

My mechanic has one of those. I change my oil a lot, but not enough to justify one of those!! :D

The garage I used to share with a few others had an old one. The owner picked it up used. Don't think it was too expensive.

Uninsulated barn in the middle of winter and it would cook you out. We used to accept oil from friends and neighbors and never ran out.

[quote author=Dinkleberry link=board=14;threadid=7948;start=msg70152#msg70152 date=1070384390]
Waste oil heaters:
http://www.lanair.com/home.cfm[/quote]

Hmm. Any heater website that has a built in ROI calculator is a hint it's a little out of my range. :flipoff2: :eek:

I prefer forced hot air like this
4.gif
:flipoff2: :D

You've got a point (on top of yer head). I have to admit I didn't actually look at those prices til now.

[quote author=Junk link=board=14;threadid=7948;start=msg70929#msg70929 date=1070505038]
Hmm. Any heater website that has a built in ROI calculator is a hint it's a little out of my range. :flipoff2: :eek:

You've got a point (on top of yer head). I have to admit I didn't actually look at those prices til now.

I prefer forced hot air like this
4.gif
:flipoff2: :D
[/quote]

I'm sure you can produce enough to heat a few garages! :flipoff2:

We made this from a couple of truck brake drums, choke in the square top bit, ash drawer and air control on the bottom, steel band around the middle, and the top is great for heating stuff, and is open in the pic, and is where you drop the wood in..... :cheers:

Wood heat is the best way to go, plus you can heat up dolar store chili on it that will help you heat it with your own natural gas like junk

[quote author=the shedguy [Aus/CAC] link=board=14;threadid=7948;start=msg73504#msg73504 date=1071014222]
We made this from a couple of truck brake drums, choke in the square top bit, ash drawer and air control on the bottom, steel band around the middle, and the top is great for heating stuff, and is open in the pic, and is where you drop the wood in..... :cheers:
[/quote]

just make sure you have a good floor...those drums get heavy real quick :)

I know you said no space heaters, but I'm partial a the "jet engine" space heaters. I don't know what they are really called, but the ones that run on kerosene or diesel fuel. Even a small one can heat up a large area quickly.

[quote author=kstatecruiser link=board=14;threadid=7948;start=msg77753#msg77753 date=1071846435]
I know you said no space heaters, but I'm partial a the "jet engine" space heaters. I don't know what they are really called, but the ones that run on kerosene or diesel fuel. Even a small one can heat up a large area quickly.
[/quote]

Around here we call those salamanders, or torpedo heaters.

I'm in the middle of installing a 75k BTU Hot Dawg heater from Modine....propane or natural gas, mounts 1" from the ceiling, 3" external exhaust, electric fans, thermostat controlled. Hope to fire it this weekend....should heat my 4-stall nicely.

[quote author=woody link=board=14;threadid=7948;start=msg77904#msg77904 date=1071859858]
I'm in the middle of installing a 75k BTU Hot Dawg heater from Modine....propane or natural gas, mounts 1" from the ceiling, 3" external exhaust, electric fans, thermostat controlled. Hope to fire it this weekend....should heat my 4-stall nicely.[/quote]

Pic and estimate please. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom