Garage heat (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

[quote author=kstatecruiser link=board=14;threadid=7948;start=msg77753#msg77753 date=1071846435]
I know you said no space heaters, but I'm partial a the "jet engine" space heaters. I don't know what they are really called, but the ones that run on kerosene or diesel fuel. Even a small one can heat up a large area quickly.
[/quote]

Guess you mean something like http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=22371&item=2582407743
this ?

Thats a Eberspächer Swingfire Heater , used in Unimogs and similar Trucks.
Works with Gasoline and produces 11KW , i got one of these to heat my garage if it gets to cold.
Just needs a batterie to start, then it works on its own !

1064201876809_swingfireturbo.jpg

They even sell on US-Ebay !!

For less than 8 bucks worth of fuel (including chainsaw) I scored enough firewood to keep the shop warm for a couple months. Only took about 6 hours and gave me an excuse to wheel around out there while I was at it. Found a killer batch of waterfalls to crawl up in the bottom of one of the washes. Cheap and fun. That's what I call efficient garage heat.

[quote author=Junk link=board=14;threadid=7948;start=msg78150#msg78150 date=1071888519]
Pic and estimate please. :D
[/quote]

Pic and/or pic Woody so I know what you're talking about. I got a small budget for this, for my 24x26 garage but the need is increasing every day. Thanks.

[quote author=Junk link=board=14;threadid=7948;start=msg84671#msg84671 date=1073275659]
Pic and/or pic Woody so I know what you're talking about. I got a small budget for this, for my 24x26 garage but the need is increasing every day. Thanks.
[/quote]

Here ya go...

http://www.gas-space-heater.com/modine-hot-dawg.html

I like the waste oil route. Thinking of getting on from Northerntool.com http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=6970&langId=-1&catalogId=4006970&PHOTOS=on&TEST=Y&productId=586&categoryId=0 Cheaper than others I have seen and enough heat for a small shop or garage. Best of all it gets rid of the excess waste oil, not just motor oil but gear and tranny oils too.

Also some cheap, do-it-yourself kits or plans.

Brandon
Olympia, WA
http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel_library/ethanol_motherearth/me4.html
http://www.heco.net/Wasteoil.htm

I've got 1020 watts of light in a 1.5 car garage. :D
I hate working in the dark. I don't use my heater, all I have to do is close it up and turn all the lights on.:D

[quote author=CruisinGA link=board=14;threadid=7948;start=msg85238#msg85238 date=1073359899]
I've got 1020 watts of light in a 1.5 car garage. :D
I hate working in the dark. I don't use my heater, all I have to do is close it up and turn all the lights on.:D
[/quote]

Uh, dude, you're like in GA, all you would need is the heat from a 1 watt bulb. :flipoff2:

[quote author=Junk link=board=14;threadid=7948;start=msg85408#msg85408 date=1073399514]
Uh, dude, you're like in GA, all you would need is the heat from a 1 watt bulb. :flipoff2:
[/quote]
Uh dude, I swear this saturday it was AT LEAST down to 60. :flipoff2:
Seriously, every once in awhile we will get a REAL cold spell and it might reach freezing. :D :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

So Bailey,

How is that 20+ low working out for you...

[quote author=Poser link=board=14;threadid=7948;start=msg86525#msg86525 date=1073530243]
So Bailey,

How is that 20+ low working out for you...
[/quote]
BRRRRR.......
until i hit the light switch :D

I have a 75,000 BTU nat gass fired furnace in my garage, also 40 gal hot water tank also gas fired. They are in a seperate room and off the ground 18".

A friend heats his shop (40'x100') with a waste oil heater, cheap as dirt to operate. He takes a trailer w/ 4 55 gallon drums around to the tranny shops once every other month or so and gets all his fuel for FREE. Awsome heat.

Currently I use a vent free wall mounted natual gas heater. It's good but takes a while to heat up a 2.5 car garage from 40 to 60 deg F. The garage has enough leaks to replace the O2! Our electricity costs per unit decreases during winter and gas price increases. So I was thinking of using an electric fan forced heater, if I can find one. Of course, the toasty air is near the ceiling and I'm freezing my ass off on the floor!

I've used a kerosene Torpedo heater, something like 50,000 BTU! It'd heat up the garage to 90 deg F in about 10 minutes. However, the fumes were nasty, even when I started/stopped it outside. My co-worker touts his torpdedo Propane unit. He says it can heat up the garage quickly and he can sort of aim it in his general direction. I'd have liked to have his unit to heat up metal before painting.

Ali

I use a bunch of torpedoes in the shop when it gets this cold, warms it up really fast. I burn #1 diesel in them, not too smelly, the torpedo at home in the garage I had to switch from diesel to jet A because the diesel just fumed too bad.

Why would the diesel smell up your garage, but not your shop? I use diesel, too, in my torpedo. Don't worry about getting it to 60 degrees this time of year. I am happy with 40, so the snow melts off the rig!

I still have no heat and like no lighting in my garage. This absolutely sucks. Dang you guys with your frickin heaters.

Going to get something soon, cause this just sucks. Still not sure how important the vented is though.

I've got a guy that is picking up a few oil furnaces for $50 each. He says they work well for garage heat. Just hook up a 55gal drum of oil and let it burn. I'll keep you posted.

Trent

Garage Heater Calculator

An easy way to determine what you need to keep the chill off while you are in your garage in the winter is to use a garage heater calculator. Then you can buy the exact heater that fits your needs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom