Game Day (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I braved downtown for Game 2, don't think I'll be doing that tonight.

Nothing but BBQ, friends and beer....and I guess the game :p for me tonight :D

I'm travelling home from the US today of all things....hope to be home to catch the end of the game!!

Whoohooo! (just kidding). In 1982 I was a young teen, totally dejected when the 'knuckleheads lost to the Islanders. Having to console my son a generation later was a bummer.

The riots have started..

Canucks fans erupt in anger after loss - British Columbia - CBC News

Here was my view from happier times at about 2:30 today.
IMG076.jpg

the stupid few will once again ruin it for the rest. Hope no one gets seriously hurt but I have a feeling that nothing positive will come out of this.
Although it's interesting how quickly in this day and age the news spreads, I'm watching it on the news and getting updates via the web of latest videos uploaded about this.

What really gets me is the contrast between these Vancouver cowards and those around the world who engage in protest or even riot who are fighting for basic freedoms and living conditions we take for granted. I think an appropriate sentence for the Vancouver rioters would be 3 months in the likes of a Syrian jail. It would do them a lot more good than 2 years in a Canadian jail. (Of course, we'd be lucky if they see a month in jail here.) :censor:

I remember back in the 80s when we had the Grey Cup in Vancouver. Being students, of course we didn't have tickets. But a large group of us headed downtown from UBC. We started a game of touch foot ball on the Art Gallery lawn and soon the police blocked off Georgia so we could take the game to the street. Hundreds of people were playing foot ball. No one got intentionally hurt (beside the odd wipe-out on the pavement). No one's livelihood got damaged or destroyed. Sad to see how far we have come... :meh:

Doesn't only happen in Canada:
France braces for riots as protests turn violent - Europe, World - The Independent

Same sort of thing, vandals roaming around looking for something to smash.
Of course, this was a protest and not a sporting event. This one was a sporting event:
Tajik Soccer Fans Riot After 'Favoritism' For President's Son's Team - Radio Free Europe / Radio Liberty © 2011
And this:
Police officer dies in Italian soccer riot
It happens all the time, just not in our backyard. Hopefully the soccer fans here are more laid back!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom