GA Traverse Ride (1 Viewer)

What weekend works better?

• June 14th - 16th

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • June 21st - 23rd

Votes: 6 85.7%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Dianne has decided to go on this trip, so this should be interesting. I already have the gpx files for the route, but will need some recommendations as to hair and nail places and day spas along the way.

Dianne has decided to go on this trip, so this should be interesting. I already have the gpx files for the route, but will need some recommendations as to hair and nail places and day spas along the way.
I think Caylee may be coming too. We were talking about doing this trip and then spending a few days up in Highlands, NC after the traverse. So, if we could run it from West to East that would be ideal, but not a game changer.

EDIT: We don't have to do West to East. We can change our schedule to either go to Highlands the 18-21th or the 23-26th depending on which way we do the Traverse.

Last edited:
I think Caylee may be coming too. We were talking about doing this trip and then spending a few days up in Highlands, NC after the traverse. So, if we could run it from West to East that would be ideal, but not a game changer.

EDIT: We don't have to do West to East. We can change our schedule to either go to Highlands the 18-21th or the 23-26th depending on which way we do the Traverse.
We're running it West to East.

I've been looking at potential camp sites based on how far we can make it at a leisurely pace. Maybe, we can do the Western half now, and do the Eastern half in the fall when the leaves begin to change colors.

Alright, so we decided last night we are going to run the Traverse East to West. It makes more sense to take interstate up to the starting point (Tallulah Falls, GA) and then work our way West to get closer to home by Sunday.

If everyone is up for it, we would like to try and meet Friday around noon at the starting point so we can get more trail time in. If this is a problem for some, let us know.

Also, we discussed it doesn't make sense for everyone coming on the trip to pack their own kitchen, firewood, water/food, recovery etc. So, we can distribute one person/rig to be responsible for one item. That way we don't have 5x of everything there.

Thoughts?

That works. Still not sure if we can take off Thursday night or early Friday so meeting at noon gives a chance to get over there and get some riding in on Friday. Won't get dark until seven at least.

Since it gets dark at 7ish what time do you guys want to try to be at camp?

Still planning to jump on the trail in Dillard or?

If anyone has means to haul firewood I’m glad to supply it.

Do we have a "final" roll call of who all is going? Do we need a DLC end of the month brewery tour to plan logistics?

I'm picking up my 100 on Saturday and will take it on the road the next two weeks to make sure the new trans is good.

Since it gets dark at 7ish what time do you guys want to try to be at camp?

Still planning to jump on the trail in Dillard or?

If anyone has means to haul firewood I’m glad to supply it.
When we were up at Windrock the other week, it wasn’t getting dark until atleast 8:30. I saw pull into camp by 6:30ish?

Do we have a "final" roll call of who all is going? Do we need a DLC end of the month brewery tour to plan logistics?

I'm picking up my 100 on Saturday and will take it on the road the next two weeks to make sure the new trans is good.
Right now it looks me you, Clarence, Brent and frank.

Edit: after three weeks, they are getting toyota to run diagnositcs on every wiring harness plug to find the source of the codes that are still popping up. I cant pick it up until Thursday (6/20) morning at the earliest, so i'll have to wait until the weekend after July 4th to go ride the traverse.

Last edited:
The countdown has begun! Looks like the whole Southeast is getting heavy rain from today through Thursday. Should help keep the dust down and maybe make the trails a little more interesting.

Found out Caylee can’t get off Friday until noon, so we’ll leave after that. Meeting spot is set for Dillard, GA on Friday.

Trip report:
Great turnout. Six trucks turned up at Bass Pro in Leeds (Three 80s, Three 100s, Four Toyotas, Two Lexi). Stepped off at about noon. Stuck too long in Atlanta traffic. Hit the trail at Dillard. Got to campsite at about 8. We quickly realized that one piece of gear will be a necessity at all future DixieLand trips:
Solo Fire Pit
Thanks to Brent for bringing it.

And then the storm came. It got a little noisy as it came through. And the next morning there were some sizable trees and limbs down. Covered significant ground on Saturday, ate lunch at Helen, camped close to Dogwood Knob. At Dogwood Knob we divided into three distinct groups. Oztent Village, which was by invitation only, Rooftop Town, and the Slum by the Creek. As to be expected, the Slums were the place to be. Giant insects ate my thermacell.

Covered more ground on Sunday, made it to the west side of the National Forest, Frank almost stepped on the biggest copperhead I have ever seen, then we bailed out. Made it back in time to dry out all the gear and clean the truck.

I would call this trip a total success. Much fun, nobody had truck trouble that I'm aware of, and great camaraderie. Time to start planning the next one.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom