FZJ80 rear backing plate part search. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I believe this part would be called a rear backing plate. The brake components mount to this. Does anyone know the part number or where it would be available? I need right and left side.

2E8420C0-147B-4BF7-AF71-62A7A826074C.jpeg

59EA1FCE-5BD4-441D-8D8C-D7B940C58A3B.jpeg

398BF3C5-3D5C-447C-95A2-5D42DFF94EE2.jpeg

If you go onto the partsorq site and put in your vin, since you didn’t mention your year/model, it will direct you to parts diagrams and you can find it that way.

For a ’97, the left rear is 46504-60041 and the right rear is 46503-60081. Yes, they are discontinued !

Regards...

You could also sandblast and powder coat your shield and then re-assemble with all new components. Most of the parking brake components are still avail and fairly inexpensive.

I just did this, loads of fun !

BAD70261-C42F-43C9-B2D9-BF199C813F90.jpeg

They don't look all that bad, careful blasting should clean them up as mentioned above. IME glass beads are safer but slower, garnet is faster but can remove metal if the operator isn't careful.

If your axle housing is rusty (looks like it is) , you could blast and repaint the whole thing, someone on the forum has done that before.

Im looking for the same part and have had no luck. But let me know if you find an alternative. I would love to know.

i should have given more detail. I know i said in the thread title “FZJ80”. I know this is an FZJ80 rear housing. I do not know what year it is. I am refurbishing it, installing an ARB air-locker and putting it under my ‘92 FJ80. These backplates looked as though they were warped. I couldnt tell if that was the case for certain, as i do not have a new example. I am installing a new locker, bearings, seals, and all brake components (except i am only refurbishing the calipers). It seemed like these had enough rust to potentially cause loss of strength. Since the braking components must align properly to function properly, i figured replacement would be the best bet. There was quite a bit of rust to be cleaned between the dust shield and the housing. I am glad i removed them.
i have no access to media blasting.
i have no access to a powder coating setup.
i may have them professionally done, but i usually do as much as possible myself. I clean most things with a wire wheel or cup brush or something similar. If these are unattainable, it would be a worthwhile investment to have them powder coated. I will research what i can find. It appears nobody has provided a direct answer, but if i have luck i will post the source in this thread. Thanks everyone!

Im looking for the same part and have had no luck. But let me know if you find an alternative. I would love to know.

For new part contact @Akella at
cruiseraddiction.com

I am just about to replace mine....do I need to replace the wheels bearings at the same time or can I put them back in. There were done recently abs missed the rusty backing plate. Do you need any special tools to do this job or are conventional tools okay? Don’t need a press or anything?

Harbor Freight sells a $20 blast gun that's perfect for this type of work.
20 oz blast gun

A small compressor (which can be rented if you don't own one) will run it adequately. If you use walnut shells or borax, you won't have to worry about having sand all over the place, which you then can't use for anything else. Walnut shells make great mulch and borax keep the critters away.

Small parts are great candidates for a blast cabinet, but even if you have one, you can't put an axle housing in it. This is another time saving alternative.

I am just about to replace mine....do I need to replace the wheels bearings at the same time or can I put them back in. There were done recently abs missed the rusty backing plate. Do you need any special tools to do this job or are conventional tools okay? Don’t need a press or anything?
You can reuse the bearings if you know they're new. Just clean them well and repack them with bearing grease. I'll get a load of carp for saying this, but I alwys clean mine with distilled water and repack them after blowing the water out. They're soaked in water based coolant when they're ground anyway and that's the way they're cleaned at the manufacturing plant. If you use petroleum based cleaners, you have to get it all out, because if you don't it will significantly diminish the life of your lubricant.

No special tools needed, and a press is nice to remove and install the bearing cups, but not necessary. A square brass or aluminum (or aluminium, as you please) keystock sized drift (5-6mm) is a must for the cup installation, if you don't have a press. The housing is cast steel, so you do not want to use any steel to drive the bearing cups into the housing. You can hit the bearings with anything you want, they're really hard anyway. The housing, on the other hand, is not.

I just blasted and re-painted my backing plates, and either I am in the wrong section of FSM or I am blind, but I cannot find the torque for the 4 nuts that hold these backing plates on? Anyone know? Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom