Fzj80 Locker switches-rotary to separate push button-can it be done? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.mcdesignsoffroad.com
Anyone know if the later 80s have harness/plugs that make it possible to pull the rotary switch and put in two separate truly independent front and rear locker switches - push button like the cdl switches.

I’ve been looking online and can’t find the info I’m looking for. I’ve searched online and the 80 section, but all that comes up is how to maintain or add the rotary switch.

Last edited:
Seems possible to me. Question would be why do it? Just don’t like the rotary switch?

Last edited:
The switch is super simple. Once the rear locker is activated, there is a crossover to power the front locker. EDIT: However see links below because the diff lock ECU restricts this operation somewhat...So if you want independent switches you just need to splice from the power side over to your new front locker switch. Or if you still want the rear locker to activate before the front then you would need to power the front locker switch from the output of the rear locker switch.
7687363D-E707-4E86-B0EC-EB3C975273C4.jpeg

Here is what the D4 connector looks like looking at the harness side. If you wanted to get fancy:
-Depin this connector
-Splice into the L-B wire going to pin 4 so it has two ends. Call the new end pin 5.
-run wires 4 and 1 to your rear locker switch.
-run wires 5 and 2 to your front locker switch.
-now you have independent locker operation with the factory ECU and very minor wiring mods.
-there are other ways you could vary the execution of this.
ADF42E70-D0DC-4043-B0DD-8C808B515305.jpeg

Last edited:
Question would be why do it? Just don’t like the rotary switch?
If you are starting to climb a ledge or waterfall if both locker are on you get a lot of bind in the drive train because the front tire are climbing up and the rear are mostly staying in place. So if you can start the climb with just the front locker and then as the front starts to climb engage the rear locker it's a much smoother climb. This is a technique often used by competition rock crawlers.
Another situation where just the front locker is preferable is on a off camber climb where there is lose gravel or sand over a hard packed surface. with the rear locker on it tends to make the rear slide out, if you can just run the front locker it can pull you up with more control.

If you are starting to climb a ledge or waterfall if both locker are on you get a lot of bind in the drive train because the front tire are climbing up and the rear are mostly staying in place. So if you can start the climb with just the front locker and then as the front starts to climb engage the rear locker it's a much smoother climb. This is a technique often used by competition rock crawlers.
Another situation where just the front locker is preferable is on a off camber climb where there is lose gravel or sand over a hard packed surface. with the rear locker on it tends to make the rear slide out, if you can just run the front locker it can pull you up with more control.

thanks for the explanation!

thanks for the explanation!
I would really like to do this mod. But I am a 1:banana:mechanic at best, especially when it comes to electrical.
Would you be able to direct me to where the D4 connector is located on a 80 and what would be the best switches to use for this.
Thank you in advance.

D4 is the plug into the back of the locker switch. Just pull the switch out and then you can unplug it. I would just get whatever toggle switches fit in the blank or in a nearby dash blank and go from there. Maybe the little circular style ones. Or you could use a push button style switch like the CDL/hazard switch.

Just a note for this. Years ago I tried to do this exact thing, but there is logic in the factory Diff Lock controller that won't allow you to lock the front, unless it also gets the 'lock the rear' command from the switch. At least this is how it was on a 93 and 94 80.

from here

Just a note for this. Years ago I tried to do this exact thing, but there is logic in the factory Diff Lock controller that won't allow you to lock the front, unless it also gets the 'lock the rear' command from the switch. At least this is how it was on a 93 and 94 80.

from here

After reading all those threads, I need two switches to do a front locker only correct?

One for the front locker engagement, and another to interrupt the rear locker signal, so the ECU allows it. Make sure to turn rear interruption off before engaging the rear..?

Yes, but it would e a pain in the ass that way. I.e. you interrupt the signal and lock the front, now you want to lock the rear. un-interrupt the signal, unlock the diffs and the re-lock them. The stock controller has a time-out feature so if it doesn't see a 'fork in the lock position' signal in a couple of seconds it will revert the motor back to unlock.

Buy some relays and throw the factory controller away is how I would do it.

Thanks for this. Did not know this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom