FZJ80 Custom Rear Tire Carrier (picks) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After our annual Tornado Alley Cruiser meeting last weekend I had several folks asking about my rear bumper tire carrier, so I figured I would write up how I did it with picks for those of you that are interested.

I wanted to get my tire out from under my 80 to gain some clearance, but didn’t want to spend the money on a new rear bumper w/carrier. So, I spent some time under the truck, looking at how I could maintain the factory bumper while having a functional swing out tire carrier. After looking at Bob Garrett’s tire carrier that is on the back of his 80 I took that design and built upon it.

Main Bracket:
I used a spindle from Slee Offroad and mounted that to a section of 3/16 2x3 tubing for the main bracket arm while using 3/16 steel plate for mounting the Spindle bracket to the frame. For more support, I used 3/16 2x2 angle from the steel plate angled up to the main bracket and 3/16 plate steel on top. I finally bolted the bracket directly to the frame. See picture of bracket before mounting and after. Please note that these pictures were taken prior to complete welds being finished up.
side spendle view.jpg
Front Bracket2.jpg

Last edited:
Carrier:
I used 3/16 2x2 square tubing for the swing out. I have all of the messurements for the carrier if you are interested just PM me and I will forward them to you. Here are some pics of the carrier during the build process:
01.jpg
2.jpg
03.jpg

Latch

I wanted to make a latch system that looked factory so I used the top two pinel hook holes to bolt the carrier resting point to. Attached you will see a picture of how I made the carrier move out so that it would rest on the resting point. You will then see a picture of the resting point with the hook mounting placement welded to it as well. I used a 2000 lb locking PULL-ACTION TOGGLE CLAMP from McMaster-Carr part # 5071A62.
side spindle view 2.jpg
05.jpg

Last edited:
That's a slick setup, I got a chance to poke around it a little at the TAC meeting.

What was the total estimated cost for the carrier, and what are the chances you could build something like that for mine? :D

-Andrew

KC Cruiser said:
That's a slick setup, I got a chance to poke around it a little at the TAC meeting.

What was the total estimated cost for the carrier, and what are the chances you could build something like that for mine? :D

-Andrew

Total cost for the job is as follows;
Metal: (Metal by the Foot): $87.73
2000 lb locking PULL-ACTION TOGGLE CLAMP from McMaster-Carr part # 5071A62: $34.15
Slee Tire Carrier Spindle: $95.00 (got mine for free :) )
Grade 8 Bolts: Purchased at hardware store couldnt be more than $20.00 for all bolts, washers and nuts.

Building a second one would not be all that hard, now that it has been done. We would just need to make a copy. I would be happy to help you out, but not do it all. It took me about two weeks to get it all together. I cant find time to wipe my own nose right now... Ha.

zjz4476 said:
Total cost for the job is as follows;
Metal: (Metal by the Foot): $87.73
2000 lb locking PULL-ACTION TOGGLE CLAMP from McMaster-Carr part # 5071A62: $34.15
Slee Tire Carrier Spindle: $95.00 (got mine for free :) )
Grade 8 Bolts: Purchased at hardware store couldnt be more than $20.00 for all bolts, washers and nuts.

Building a second one would not be all that hard, now that it has been done. We would just need to make a copy. I would be happy to help you out, but not do it all. It took me about two weeks to get it all together. I cant find time to wipe my own nose right now... Ha.

Cool, thanks.

I understand about the whole "no time to wipe nose" thing, I've got a million things going on right now too.

I'll let you know when the time comes and see if you're still willing to give me a hand.

-Andrew

Man, that looks familiar. FYI, you need to put something on it to stop it from swinging open all the way. If you don't the tire is going to dent your quarter panel sooner or later when someone opens it that does not know to stop it in time.

sleeoffroad said:
Man, that looks familiar. FYI, you need to put something on it to stop it from swinging open all the way. If you don't the tire is going to dent your quarter panel sooner or later when someone opens it that does not know to stop it in time.

Yes, Cristo pulled together Bob Garrett's tire carrier several years back, so he gets props for the core design of the carrier itself! No, I have not added a lock that will stop the tire carrier from swinging all the way. Going to work on that soon! Cristo also pointed out to me several months ago that the latch is a over the center latch. The principle is that the latch goes over a point and then pulls against itself to stay shut. The U bolt piece should have been at the angle as he has shown on the picture attached. I will need to move the latch point sometime. I have the latch with the safety clip, so it won't jump open, but I'm sure I’m putting to much strain on the safety clip. Yes, I am H.A. and have not fixed that either. See picture:
sof_latch1[1].jpg

sleeoffroad said:
Man, that looks familiar.

Dang, you never know who will show up here. :D

BTW, the carrier you built is still going stong on the back of my 80. Just modified to work with the TJM bumper. :cool:

Hey that looks great. Minus the tire carrier, which I'm in the process of getting made, it looks just like my truck. Looks awesome.

Cool build. I started to gather all the materials for this project. Do you have any messurments of the steel cuts and the dimensions? That would help a lot. Thanks

Cool build. I started to gather all the materials for this project. Do you have any messurments of the steel cuts and the dimensions? That would help a lot. Thanks

PM me your email address and I will send you ALL the measurement in a PowerPoint I pulled together.

Carrier measurements

pm u ... hope to get files soon....:beer:

Would love to get any info from you on how to build for my rig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom