fzj80 '96 - under-hood smoke + leak + overheat

I just had to tow the 80 to the shop. While on a Sunday drive with the wife and MIL, the engine started to overheat, smoke started to waft out from under the hood, and apparently I had left a 20-yard trail of some liquid/leak in a cul-de-sac. I turned it off.
  • My wife noticed the engine coolant temp gauge was high/hot
  • The dipstick still showed a normal level of oil
  • The liquid was leaking above the engine and somehow was getting on the under-padding of the hood (see marked-up photo)
  • The liquid was a little brown in the places it pooled and smelled different than oil
  • The level of coolant in the reservoir looked normal (as far as I know?) I was looking at the overflow reservoir
Coolant leak? severe? How would that be coming out above the engine close to the cabin (see marked-up photo)?

(side note, there has been a p0401 check engine light for a while, which I think lead to replacing the component with the blue circle in the photo)

Untitled1_0001_IMG_E0134.JPG.jpg

Untitled1_0003_IMG_E0136.JPG.jpg

Untitled1_0005_IMG_E0138.JPG.jpg

Untitled1_0008_InkedIMG_E0135_LI.jpg.jpg

Website
www.george4wd.taskled.com
^ Yep, the place you have arrows is a bunch of hoses that are heater related, including the heater valve (bolted to the firewall). You have a nasty green looking hardline to go one of the hoses. I'd be replacing all the hoses and heater valve (for good measure).

cheers,
george.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom