fzj80 '96 - under-hood smoke + leak + overheat (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just had to tow the 80 to the shop. While on a Sunday drive with the wife and MIL, the engine started to overheat, smoke started to waft out from under the hood, and apparently I had left a 20-yard trail of some liquid/leak in a cul-de-sac. I turned it off.
  • My wife noticed the engine coolant temp gauge was high/hot
  • The dipstick still showed a normal level of oil
  • The liquid was leaking above the engine and somehow was getting on the under-padding of the hood (see marked-up photo)
  • The liquid was a little brown in the places it pooled and smelled different than oil
  • The level of coolant in the reservoir looked normal (as far as I know?) I was looking at the overflow reservoir
Coolant leak? severe? How would that be coming out above the engine close to the cabin (see marked-up photo)?

(side note, there has been a p0401 check engine light for a while, which I think lead to replacing the component with the blue circle in the photo)

Untitled1_0001_IMG_E0134.JPG.jpg

Untitled1_0003_IMG_E0136.JPG.jpg

Untitled1_0005_IMG_E0138.JPG.jpg

Untitled1_0008_InkedIMG_E0135_LI.jpg.jpg

Check the hoses and piping right there at the Heater Valve (on the firewall)

^ Yep, the place you have arrows is a bunch of hoses that are heater related, including the heater valve (bolted to the firewall). You have a nasty green looking hardline to go one of the hoses. I'd be replacing all the hoses and heater valve (for good measure).

cheers,
george.

10-4. Now I won't sound like a complete dumb dumb in the morning when I call the shop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom