FZJ71 h151? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently bought a 2004 fzj71 here in Colombia. It's in great shape, no rust and the motor runs great. It's been a while since I owned a manual car, and my first 4x4 so I'm really learning on the go here.

My ONLY gripe with the car is that it seems to clash going into third quite a bit, and first to second feels harder than I would have expected and it's quite notchy. I feel as though when I am shifting I have to hold it in the gate for a second before it'll go in. Blipping and properly double clutching helps a little, but not always (and admittedly I'm not great at it). It's also jumped out of first and second a few times when coasting in traffic.

It's just ticked over 100,000 miles (167,000k) and I get the impression maybe the syncros could be on the way out. I am planning on putting in a heavy duty clutch in with the help of a friend who is able to source parts here in Colombia after only finding stuff back home in Australia which is going to cost a fortune to ship here.

I took it to the local dealer here (because I am still searching for a decent mechanic) and they really let me down. I asked to have all the oils changed and they gave the car back only having done half of what I asked. They said they changed the trans oil but I suspect something is a miss here. I am planning to drop the fluid out of the gearbox and trying something other than toyota trans oil. I need to check that the shifter boot isn't stopping it from sitting in gear properly or the bushings/retainers are in good shape. I may be getting ahead of myself but I am also trying to inform myself as much as possible as I go along.

Looking at the exploded gearbox on toyodiy I am having trouble identifying which parts I actually need, vs doing some searching on google. As far as I can tell, I have the h151 box (no plate on the inside of the door to identify this) but the VIN checks out with the compliance plate in the engine bay. If I just search h151 syncro kit they all appear to be for the 80 series, and the part numbers don't appear to be same. I can only see three syncro ring sets (one being reverse) where as a hzj80 with the same engine has different part numbers. I naively suspected they'd be the same, even the 73 series up until 99' with the 1fz-fe don't match.

I am guessing these aren't interchangable, but would be good to know if I wanted to buy from overseas and get them sent here...which parts I can use that are marked for a 75 or 80 series, and which won't work.

Long first post, thanks for reading this far and would appreciate any guidance here. Attached the diagram I'm working from when I enter in the VIN.

1616549899516.png

Hi

Welcome to mud.

Sorry I can't help you with the specific parts for your transmission but oh boy, a FZJ71 that must be a fun toy 😃

If no vendor or partmaker has made a kit for the fzj7* (which is possible if it was sold neither in the US or Australia) you may have to buy the parts one by one with the partnumber from Toyota. It would be a bit of archivist work to find them all but at least you would be sure of the quality of the parts you get.

Don't hesitate to post some pictures of your rig, it will not help with your issue but Cruiser's pictures attract mudders with knowledge like bees around a honey pot.

Classic jump out of gear unless pulling....shipping kinda sucks unless you can source regionally.
Look around as you might find a crate somewhere, you can also try other gearboxes like a h55f .
Enjoy

If no vendor or partmaker has made a kit for the fzj7* (which is possible if it was sold neither in the US or Australia) you may have to buy the parts one by one with the partnumber from Toyota. It would be a bit of archivist work to find them all but at least you would be sure of the quality of the parts you get.

Don't hesitate to post some pictures of your rig, it will not help with your issue but Cruiser's pictures attract mudders with knowledge like bees around a honey pot.
A few pictures from when I purchased it, I haven't taken a lot myself because it hasn't changed from this and when I'm out in it I'm too busy with a huge smile on my face.

The best I've come up with regarding a kit, is cross referencing what comes in the kit for a 92-96 80 series kit which I found here. Given the three ring sets and associated rings, I came up with this list which reasonable to get shipped from www.carmarka.com

A cousin of mine worked for Toyota back in Australia so I plan to ask him as well to see if he can decipher it.

Classic jump out of gear unless pulling

I see this issue is common enough, but is the solution I'm proposing going to stop it would be the ultimate question.

Appreciate the friendly welcome., and look forward to learning a lot more from you all.

I would get a price for a new gearbox from a dealer in Saudi Arabia or Kuwait. They are much cheaper than Australian dealers. H151 Part # 33030-6A430
Amayama have them for $3237USD + freight. I doubt it will be much cheaper fixing the old one with parts from afar.
A toyota dealer in saudi arabia is selling them for $2724.35 USD

Just put the part number into google.

Last edited:
I had a similar problem with the 3rd gear (worn input teeth), I look in partsouq (LC80 and LC105) luckily they had pictures and notice the difference. Also looking at other h151f topics. I recommend you disassemble it for a good inspection.
Because I did not completely disassemble it, I had to make several orders.
Finally I change:
3rd gear and hub sleeve
reverse gear and hub sleeve
some gear springs
counter shaft rear bearing

correct 3rd gear i needed.
3rd gear I don't know which model applies

gL:cheers:

A toyota dealer in saudi arabia is selling them for $2724.35 USD

Mind sharing that link, here or privately?

The biggest issue shipping stuff here is you pay 19% tax on anything over $200. I can get ship small parts like hears or syncros in batches via the US and get them in no worries but a gearbox will be a nightmare. But not out of the question if I can work something out with a shipping company.

I haven't had anyone professionally look at this yet so it's all speculation.

Google the part number

Google the part number
I did google, just didn't manage to find one that cheap is all. With 19% on the purchase price, saving a few extra $ doesn't hurt.

In any case probably worth having someone who knows a lot more than me have a look at it in the event it's not as drastic I think it might be.

Appreciate the help. Will post back once I have some more info for the benefit of others or those interested.

Hello,

The H151F has a feedback mechanism that feels like a click when changing gears. Synchros and a spring set achieve this. They need to have a specific clearance in order to provide both shifting and feedback click.

In time, clearance changes and affects the mechanism. It is rather unusual, however. Your transmission seems to have suffered very serious abuse despite its low mileage.

It is also possible that the previous owner did not care at all about oil.

Simple solution: drain the oil, pour in 2.7 liters of fresh 75W85 (or 75W90) / API GL-5 oil and see what happens.

Not so simple solution: remove the transmission, disassemble it, check clearances gear by gear, and any additional wear, replace as needed. It may not be worth the effort if more than one gear is damaged.

80 Series H151Fs have a few clearance specifications that are different from 70 Series H151Fs. Sourcing parts in the US may result in 80 Series-specific parts, which will not suit your transmission.

If your transmission woes are not solved by fresh oil, it is wise to source a complete gearbox from the Middle East, as recommended above.

Last nut not least, I would check the transfer and the rest of the drive train. If the PO abused the gearbox, chances are the rest has damage as well.

Juan

My computer wont cut and paste links , needs looking at.
Their email
epartssupport@toyota.com.sa

And their other details
1616638287248.png

Abdul Latif Jameel Retail Company Ltd.
Amir Majed Street, P.O. Box 248, Jeddah, 21411. K.S.A.
VAT#: 300159478400003
Commercial registration: 4030111449

At 160000klms, the gearbox should be in good condition. It either been abused or the mileage is not accurate.. Once they start crunching , they are losing metal which is floating around in the oil damaging bearings and other moving parts. If you cant trust them to do minor jobs, how will you go with a gearbox rebuild?

Years ago , when I bought my FJ73 unlic and in a poor state, I found that the engine gearbox transfer case and diffs and cooling system were all worn out at 230000klms. Im pretty sure the PO never changed the oil or coolants in the 5-6 years he owned it. I got it cheap and did a few klms before I replaced all those items and converted it to diesel , but it would have been nice to get a few more klm out of it.

Last edited:
Simple solution: drain the oil, pour in 2.7 liters of fresh 75W85 (or 75W90) / API GL-5 oil and see what happens.
Fair point, will have to grab some and get underneath it this weekend.
Assuming this is in reference to my experience with Toyota. I've since found a workshop that does a lot of work on patrols and cruisers. A lot of restoration work as well so with any luck they know there way around cars that have seen a few k's. . They've already done a few minor jobs for me and have been very helpful with questions about parts etc.

I think I'll get some better oil in the transmission and see what the old oil looks like, and failing any improvement take it down to them for a going over. If they can determine how toasted it is, based on that I'll decide how much more money I want to sink into it.

It's a fun car mind you, with any luck I can get this sorted. Appreciate the help

It's a fun car mind you, with any luck I can get this sorted. Appreciate the help

Hello,

It is fun indeed.

The H151F is very fun to drive once the bugs are solved. It is very reliable as well.

Juan

Mind sharing that link, here or privately?

The biggest issue shipping stuff here is you pay 19% tax on anything over $200. I can get ship small parts like hears or syncros in batches via the US and get them in no worries but a gearbox will be a nightmare. But not out of the question if I can work something out with a shipping company.

I haven't had anyone professionally look at this yet so it's all speculation.
19% is a gift! In Argentina we pay 50%. I received an order form partsuoq (500 use aprox) and had to pay around 260 usd to et it through customs!

Congrats on your truck! Looks in excellent shape!

Cheers from Latin America

You may have already seen this, but here is a very informative thread about rebuilding the 80-series version of the H151:

You guys and your cheap customs ... last two shipments to jordan was 100% and I had to pay customs on total amount which included shipping, not just parts.

You may have already seen this, but here is a very informative thread about rebuilding the 80-series version of the H151:
Thanks

I got in touch with my local workshop of choice yesterday and they said to bring it in when I am able to. Given there's a national holiday all next week here it'll have to be after that, which given I don't have the week off work means I probably won't drive the car anyway.

The 80 series and earlier 73s are a dime a dozen here. This is completely unfounded but I wondered if a box from either of those would bolt on given it wouldn't be mixing internals as such. Maybe input and output shafts would be an issue (I am guessing wildly here as to how a transmission bolts to a car)

I've reached out to the dealer that Roscoe kindly linked to so I'll wait for a shipping quote from them too.

I am guessing wildly here as to how a transmission bolts to a car

I'm not sure about the 80 series, but on the 100 series, the shift linkages are in a different place to a 7* series. This is because the cabins and drivers seating position are a different in relation to the transmission length. I think the 80 series maybe a little more flexible.
There is a lot of Australian 7* series facebook pages where this is a common discussion if you need a definite answer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom