FZJ vs FJ bearing races and oil seals differ in size? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello World!

I recently purchased a '94 FZJ80 from a buddy, and am excited to get it ship-shape, and on the trails!

A thing I've just uncovered, when going to rebuild the steering knuckles, is that the rebuild kit I snagged contains bearings/races and axle oil seals which are smaller than what I'm taking off.

Any advice on how to identify all of these little differences (other than the obvious 24 valve DOHC engine...) would make a huge difference when searching for OE stuff to get this beast baselined, and reliable.

Stamped on the frame
IMG_0373.JPG

Knuckle Bearings mismatch
IMG_0375.JPG
IMG_0376.JPG

Hello World!

I recently purchased a '94 FZJ80 from a buddy, and am excited to get it ship-shape, and on the trails!

A thing I've just uncovered, when going to rebuild the steering knuckles, is that the rebuild kit I snagged contains bearings/races and axle oil seals which are smaller than what I'm taking off.

Any advice on how to identify all of these little differences (other than the obvious 24 valve DOHC engine...) would make a huge difference when searching for OE stuff to get this beast baselined, and reliable.

Stamped on the frame
View attachment 2976020

View attachment 2976021View attachment 2976022
Where did you buy your parts?

I'm thinking they looked up the wrong vehicle entirely.

Or are you looking at the trunnion bearings?

Where did you buy your parts?

I'm thinking they looked up the wrong vehicle entirely.

Or are you looking at the trunnion bearings?
The kit is a Low Range Off-road Ultimate Solid Axle Knuckle Rebuild Kit I got from 4wheelparts.com. (They have been super helpful, BTW)

The knuckle bearings (races are pictured in the OP), oil seals, and wipers are all tiny compared to what I’m pulling off of the knuckle.

The kit is a Low Range Off-road Ultimate Solid Axle Knuckle Rebuild Kit I got from 4wheelparts.com. (They have been super helpful, BTW)

The knuckle bearings (races are pictured in the OP), oil seals, and wipers are all tiny compared to what I’m pulling off of the knuckle.
Check prices and parts from Cruiser Outfitters (www.cruiserteq.com) These guys know their stuff and will get you the right stuff.

4wheelpartts are primarily focused on Jeeps and they don't know the differences on these.

The LC are the same front axle parts from 1991 through 1997. They probably pulled parts for a 4Runner or a Pickup.

Sorry, should have answered re: trunnion bearings: yes, they are angled bearings that go in the top and bottom of the knuckle-portion of the axle housing.

Check prices and parts from Cruiser Outfitters (www.cruiserteq.com) These guys know their stuff and will get you the right stuff.

4wheelpartts are primarily focused on Jeeps and they don't know the differences on these.

The LC are the same front axle parts from 1991 through 1997. They probably pulled parts for a 4Runner or a Pickup.
Thanks for the advice! Will check them out.

Hello World!

Stamped on the frame
View attachment 2976020

@Kadmon94FZJ80 this is not VIN number this is the frame number, U will need to find the VIN that is stamped on your frame to look for the correct part number for your rig in the Toyota part catalog.

I get my parts at @cruiseroutfit Cruiser Outfitters - http://www.cruiseroutfitters.com/ you will get exactly what you need

30303 is the pre-1990 size. All the seals, most the gaskets and the knuckle bearings will be wrong. You need an 80 Series specific kit.

All Japanese kits (that fit) @ Cruiser Outfitters, shop online here:

30303 is the pre-1990 size. All the seals, most the gaskets and the knuckle bearings will be wrong. You need an 80 Series specific kit.

All Japanese kits (that fit) @ Cruiser Outfitters, shop online here:
Out of stock! 😭🥺 thanks for the assistance! Will see if I can piece together all the bearings, wipers, etc from the site.

Out of stock! 😭🥺 thanks for the assistance! Will see if I can piece together all the bearings, wipers, etc from the site.

Buzz us Monday, we have stock we need to add site or build kits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom