Full-hydro w/ TRE's?? Full-hydro on an 80 front axle... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Is running full-hydraulic steering w/ TREs ill advised? This will be on an 80 axle, so obviously it has 80 series TREs. The TREs would just be at the steering arms, I'd use heims in clevis's at the ram. I'm just trying to cut down costs. Additionally a heim in single shear on the steering arms doesn't sound like a good idea to me either. What do you guys think?

Anyone ever put a double-ended balanced ram behind the housing on an 80-series?

BTW, I plan to internally limit the ram so I'm not putting all that stress on the factory steering stops.

Thanks,

Ary

That's exactly what I have envisioned for my axle.. Are you planning to keep the tie-rod, and attach one end of the cylinder to it (keeping the ram higher), or do something like what most do, using short little links between the ram and the steering arms?

I don't see any issue with using TRE's... You could always have the hole reamed for 1-ton TRE's if you find that you're tearing up the 80-series stuff...

Please keep us (me) updated on your progress. I was recently given a 80 front axle (minus third), and I'm really thinking about running it, full hydro and a 3-link.

sounds like you've got the right idea for it....I haven't seen it done on an 80 axle yet tho...

been playing with a couple ideas for the 4x4 Labs setup on my axle, but nothing definitive yet....

I just went full hydro and if you have room for the box, teh assist is MUCH easier to drive. I really dont like my setup. No extra power to speak of just weird manners.

I had to ditch my box due to lowering the rig. It is fine, but I would rather have the old system.

wngrog said:
I just went full hydro and if you have room for the box, teh assist is MUCH easier to drive. I really dont like my setup. No extra power to speak of just weird manners.

I had to ditch my box due to lowering the rig. It is fine, but I would rather have the old system.

x2. There is no way I can run a box on my rig with the current winch, suspension and ride height either so I went full hydro with a double ended ram Works good, plenty of power, but I would prefer the street manners of a ram assist setup.

I may rebuild my front end at some point to go back to a saginaw box and assist at some point, but for now I just want to wheel it.

Ed

Grog, why could you not lower your rig with the sag box in place?

I just got the axle, so I obviously haven't had a chance to mock it up yet. The problem I'm forseeing is fishing the draglink through the leaf springs. I should get it all mocked up next weekend and we'll go from there. I'm still thinking about running a double-ended ram for the tie-rod even if I go assist. I like the fact that it's a balanced cylinder and will steer equally in both directions. This truck really won't see much road time at all, nor will it see much high speed(ok, I'm lieing, my roommate calls me Mario Andretti :D ). Anyway, we'll see how it works, I was just curious about how the TREs would hold up to the forces of hydro. I could see myself wedged against a rock using the hydro to push the truck sideways and busting a TRE.

Ary

I go thru one set of gm 1 ton tre's each year and about the same on the kinpin's. That with 44's half full of water. I've beeen wanting to go to the 20 ton cement truck tre's that are adjustable. 1 1/8 shank. The box is ok for now but snubbing the front end is the appeal of full hydro.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom