Fuel Sending Unit - bad? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, my only gauge working is the oil pressure light. This is a question about the fuel guage/sending unit.

I always read empty. If I take a wire and connect one end of it it to the negative battery terminal and the other end to the top of the fuel sending unit, my gauge will read full. So I assume my gauge is actually good, correct?

Next question. Is this an old enough sending unit that the float might have just deteriorated. If so, can I replace that? Else, where do I get a sending unit for a 1962? Can I just remove it and go to Advance Auto where they can match it to something they have in stock? In my mind anything that fits and gives a semi-accurate reading would be better than empty.

TIA,
Eric

thats right if you groung the sending wire and gauge moves its good, i bought a new sending unit for my 79 at the dealership, not shure about repairing it mine was rusted up at the sensor, float was fine

The factory manual has the impedance readings for testing your sender. I don't have mine here or I would look it up for you. Anyone else have one handy?

I don't know if it will fit your '62 - but I've got the one that came w/ my CCOT poly tank if you want it. You might be able to modify it if it doesn't bolt up (it's brand new anyway). Ping me if you're interested...

Tucker

Got one in a nice tank that should work. It's from a 66. Let me know and we'll get'er to ya.

Email me direct.

Thanks to a couple of nice people here on this board I now have 3 sending units. ALL including my old one seem to work. I put an mutli-meter on them - one plug to the screw holes and one plug to the top connector - and on the ohm scale, they all showed continuity everywhere along the scale except at what would be empty.

I checked with a 12V tester - one end on the + of the battery and one end on the gas tank where the screws from the sending unit go. Nothing. I believe this means my gas tank is not grounded. Is that correct? How are others tanks grounded? Mine has been covered with a black bumpy substance that seems like rubber - possibly why it is not grounded as normal?

I am thinking about running a wire from the sending unit screws to the frame - I think that would do the trick. Agreed?

Thanks -

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom