Fuel sender unit? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone,
There is no section for a newer Hilux on this forum, only the older ones… i have the LC150 series but a Hilux 3.0d4d 2015 (KUN26).

I figure you guys wont mind me asking a question here.

My fuel gauge shows almost two thirds full and my paps ran out of fuel the other day… I figure it is the sender unit float or could it be something else?

any help would be greatly appreciated.

regards,
tunin

Sounds like the sender/float. If you have a dented fuel tank it can also create a baffle and trap fuel or fool the sender to show more than is there. Depending on your mileage it may be worth a full sending unit vs just the float given the labor to get in there and it being all one large assembly.

Sounds like the sender/float. If you have a dented fuel tank it can also create a baffle and trap fuel or fool the sender to show more than is there. Depending on your mileage it may be worth a full sending unit vs just the float given the labor to get in there and it being all one large assembly.
Thank you for your response. I am not sure if I should order one right away as things take time for parts to arrive where I live or should I take the tank off and see if it is repairable…

Thank you for your response. I am not sure if I should order one right away as things take time for parts to arrive where I live or should I take the tank off and see if it is repairable…
If it's just bent it could be an easy fix. The contacts wear as well with fill and refill. You could. Some cut a bigger hole to access from the back seat

The float could also have a hole in it. Either way, you'll probably be needing an entire new sender unit.
Considering the Hilux is a pickup (American slang), for myself, I'd just order another one and keep a 5 gal jerry can in the back as reserve until you get the new send unit in. Kind of like the very early VW's with no fuel gauge, just a valve to turn on for reserve when you ran out of gas.

You guys, I will take a look, I called the toyota dealer, they want 400 for the sender unit, I think that is crazy… found it online for around 100… I will try to get someone to ship my way.

will be draining the tank this week, we’ll see what I end up finding. Gotta use my friends lift so it will need to be a quick out/in…

I am also having issues with the DPF, I might take it out for cleaning or refurbishing at the same time.

Reactions: r2m
UPDATE:

I received the fuel sending unit, replaced it, it seamed it fixed the problem, but the tank is still half full, so we will see. i hope this is it. :)

UPDATE:

I received the fuel sending unit, replaced it, it seamed it fixed the problem, but the tank is still half full, so we will see. i hope this is it. :)
Hope it works out for you! 🤞
(although, I'd still keep a jerry can of gas on board until you're sure...)

Hope it works out for you! 🤞
(although, I'd still keep a jerry can of gas on board until you're sure...)
After i posted this today, long overdue, went out to a friends place working on an old trailer to refurbish it…

guess what, the fuel gauge showed 1/2 tank, it seamed it was moving normally, as before it would not go below 2/3… I ran out of fuel in the middle of the road.
i have no idea where to go from here, the tank seams to be fine, no dents, cracks, cables seam to be good, new sender unit installed.

the gauge goes up and down on ignition, so it has movement.

• Sad
This is from 05 GX470 manual. I think the sending unit are similar on most toyota. For some reason the sending unit resistance is not going up above 59 ohm.
Screenshot_20230114_114038_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg

This is from 05 GX470 manual. I think the sending unit are similar on most toyota. For some reason the sending unit resistance is not going up above 59 ohm.
View attachment 3218940
Thanks a million man. Being that I got the new sender unit inside the tank now, I can skip the testing of the sender unit, I will try the other suggested on this manual. Thank you.

I was thinking of buying a salvaged cluster unit just to test the gauge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom