Fuel line disconnected while on the road! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This spring when we were driving on the dirt roads in the middle of the Carrizo Plains (CA), my LX470 (2001 w/ 100k) suddenly loss power. After coasting to a stop and popping the hood, we found gasoline was sprayed all over the plastic engine cover. We found that somehow the connector attaching the fuel line to the downstream side of the fuel filter had disconnected. See orange arrow in the attached picture. After reconnecting and verifying a good connection, I added a zip tie (white) to secure the line down for extra measure. I've searched the forum to see if this has happened to others but did not find anything. I inspected the connector and it seems fine. Has anyone had this happen before? Anyone know why the connector would just disconnect like that? We were lucky the fuel leak didn't start a fire!

Fuel line.jpg

It disconnected at the connector/retainer on fuel filter or after that dogleg, exactly where your arrow is?

Is your green inner clip in place, and did you hear the click as fitting pressed on last time it was off.

2327150150.jpg

Yeah Id also like to know where it disconnected- did the hose cone off from plastic elbow fitting, or did the fitting come off from the steel elbow on the end of the fuel filter?

The fitting came off the steel elbow. Sorry for the confusion with the original picture. Here's a better picture and I've circled where it disconnected. When the issue occurred, I inspected the green piece and the tangs looked okay. Also checked the mechanical integrity of the black fitting and it seemed fine. I could see that both tangs on the green piece were engaged on the black fitting. I did a tug test, and while there was a little in-line play (normal?), it didn't come off. One other oberservation I forgot to mention: when the failure occured the hose was not clipped into the white retainer.

InkedIMG_0090_LI.jpg

Thanks for the added detail. It shouldn't have come off- have you replaced the filter recently or any other work in engine bay? Since you've re-checked the fitting and its holding it should be ok. The only thing that I think about is if there is an underling pressure issue that might have caused it to come off- like the FPR or PD. Maybe unrelated: When engine is running double check the pulsation damper on the DS fuel rail- with engine running check to see that the small screw on top is raised/protruded ( it will recede when the engine is off). As for the fitting at the fuel filter, I don't think there is any replacement fitting- you have to buy the entire hose its connected to which retails for $90. In lieu of that, if it makes you feel better, add another zip tie around the fitting this way- not real tight just tight enough to hold it in place.

InkedIMG_0090_LI.jpg

It shouldn't have come off- have you replaced the filter recently or any other work in engine bay?
The million-dollar question! The hose not being in the white clip when @Boulder found the issue suggests some fiddling around.

As for the fitting at the fuel filter, I don't think there is any replacement fitting- you have to buy the entire hose its connected to which retails for $90.
The green retainer is available for $2 (9092307002) and should be replaced everytime the fuel line is disconnected from the filter (non-reusable, per FSM). The black plastic retainer housing + elbow are only available with a new hose, which can be had for ~$65 (2327150150). Note that new hose also comes with new green retainer.

The million-dollar question! The hose not being in the white clip when @Boulder found the issue suggests some fiddling around.

The green retainer is available for $2 (9092307002) and should be replaced everytime the fuel line is disconnected from the filter (non-reusable, per FSM). The black plastic retainer housing + elbow are only available with a new hose, which can be had for ~$65 (2327150150). Note that new hose also comes with new green retainer.
Awesomeness on the replaceable green retainer clip- I've looked through the parts schematic for fuel system and never found the clip. Thanks for posting that. 👍👍

It shouldn't have come off- have you replaced the filter recently or any other work in engine bay?
Since the LX has been in my ownership over the last 2 years, it has not seen any service other than by myself. I never noticed that the hose was unclipped before but I could've missed it. The fuel filter has not been touched as far as I can tell from the previous owner's service records.

The only thing that I think about is if there is an underling pressure issue that might have caused it to come off- like the FPR or PD. Maybe unrelated: When engine is running double check the pulsation damper on the DS fuel rail- with engine running check to see that the small screw on top is raised/protruded ( it will recede when the engine is off).
@abuck99, I like the way you think. Sometimes the hardware is trying to tell us something and we ignore it with catastrophic results! Thanks for these thoughts! I'll check out the PD and look for the pop-up screw. How do you check the FPR (fuel pressure regulator?)?

The green retainer is available for $2 (9092307002) and should be replaced everytime the fuel line is disconnected from the filter (non-reusable, per FSM).

This is great! I've been baselining the LX and parts have been $$$. $2 is much better than replacing the whole hose!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom