Fuel level woes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Background: 2H into an FJ62. Nothing special. 62 harness. A mix of gauges.

I apparently fried either my fuel sending unit, gauge or both when I accidentally plugged in my sender to the wrong plug in the harness (driver's side rear, located in the cargo panel) a while back because the gauge was suddenly dead and worked perfectly prior.

After fiddling for a while with no result, I just ended up putting in a spare gauge, though I am totally unsure if it was the one native to my old HJ60 or from a FJ60 cluster I had as well, but definitely not a 62. Likewise, I pulled the sender from my HJ60 tank and replaced it with the sender from the fuel tank that used to be in this FJ62, so that sender is from a 62's gasoline tank.

Now, I have NO IDEA if there is anything special about a diesel sender or gauge, but I doubt it.

Problem: I top off the tank with either dino-diesel or biodiesel and the needle goes only 2/3 to 3/4 of the way to the top. $30 worth (about a half tank) registers barely as 1/4 tank full.

Before I buy a used HJ60 or HJ61 sender and gauge, anyone have a way for me to test this system and figure out what's wrong? Any idea what's going on here?

Thanks.

Hmmm, not sure but the problem may be the old 24vdc vs 12vdc parts issue.... half voltage, half reading...?

ohm out the sender, that should show you if it the the gage or the sender that is the culprit.

Roalco has an excellent point too

Hmmm, not sure but the problem may be the old 24vdc vs 12vdc parts issue.... half voltage, half reading...?

ohm out the sender, that should show you if it the the gage or the sender that is the culprit.

Roalco has an excellent point too

I'll ohm out the sender. The 2H was 12v, Aussie. I've never laid a finger on a 24v gauge or anything 24v, for that matter.

Thx.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom