Fuel leak on carb, what is it and how easy is it to fix? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.projektenterprises.com
While trying to fix the thermostat problem I found a fuel leak to boot, anyone know what the leaking part is and how easy it is to fix it?

Pic 1: Leaking part close up
Pic 2: overall side shot of carb

also as you can see that leaks right down on the manifolds, so glad it didn't catch fire on the drive home :eek:
IMG_20110105_112241.jpg
IMG_20110105_112248.jpg

Accelarator pump?

While trying to fix the thermostat problem I found a fuel leak to boot, anyone know what the leaking part is and how easy it is to fix it?

Pic 1: Leaking part close up
Pic 2: overall side shot of carb

also as you can see that leaks right down on the manifolds, so glad it didn't catch fire on the drive home :eek:

something like the fuel cut valve...only place to buy is yota...approx $120...

yes I modified the 2nd valve I bought as it leaked too. I basically removed the linkage and the "guts" of the valve and used a bolt/screw to screw down in where the valve is (to seal it off).

Not the best of designs by toyota.

Couldn't figure out how to gut the valve so I popped the arm off, jammed the valve upen and used a metal epoxy (quicksteel) to putty the thing open for good. need to adjust the fuel mixture, it has a hard time starting now where it didn't before, i'm thinking it might be a touch rich. :banana:

Now for the better news, no more fuel leak, the thermostat is properly sealed this time around (I screwed it up first time and it popped a nice little leak) and after 5 min of idling the guage started climbing and the heater started warming up.:cool::bounce:

That is the better choice. Mine does the same thing when it is really hot outside... the mod is in my future. I did call C Dan over the summer to try to get one and unfortunately - it is discontinued. The only choice at this point is Jim C's mod.

there is a picture somewhere here where I posted a pic of my modified valve (back when I had I-6), a couple of years old by now.

Thanks, I'll have to grab another one of those and extract the guts properly at some point but my QuickSteel fix is working for now. One of the problems I have is a lack of tools, let alone cash to buy them, so I wasn't sure how to actually extract the brass part holding the guts in without hurting any mounting surfaces.
:cheers:

yeah I understand on that note..I've been collecting tools for over 20 years..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom