Fuel gauge calibration: Advice please. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys,

Some help please. My 1988 FJ62 had temperature problems for a while, and I cleaned the points on the fuel gauge side as recommended. However, in the end we diagnosed a leaking top gasket.

I was recommended by local knowledge to the supposed Cruiser experts, and an engine overhaul episode began which would have made a good comedy. Eventually I have the vehicle back after two months, a burnt valve, a valve strike due to faulty camshaft timing, etc.

Barely did 30 kilometers (+-22 miles) and she flooded: Bad needle valve. They promise to come and fetch the carb and have it overhauled. I ran it some 160 kilometers (100 miles) today with my old carb, and it is ok, but I nearly got into trouble: The fuel gauge showed a quarter left, which is usually good for 45 liters, but it took 67 liters and more. And then the needle pegged outside the face plate. After the day's run it shows barely below full. This way I am going to run the tank dry one of these days.

They must have messed with the instruments. My 'lights on' beeper has been disconnected, and my second battery run down and not recoverable.

Not trusting anyone else any more, I won't let them touch it again. Can anyone advise how I calibrate the gauge? I searched the site but found only advice regarding 40 and 50 series Cruisers.

Until you get the gauge squared away, always fill the tank up full when you get petrol and use your odometer to keep track of your kilometers (using known average km/liter).

The fuel gauge weirdness could be 3 things (primarily)
Bad sender in the gas tank
Bad gauge
Bad electrical contacts either at the sender or gauge.

The sender in the tank is relatively easy to remove. You can remove it and swing the float arm at different angles and observe what happens on the gauge. I'm not aware of a way to clean it up to make it work properly if it isn't functioning correctly.

The other variable is the gauge. Make sure it's firmly installed in the instrument cluster.

The gauge reads resistance from the sender in the tank.

I am confused...I thought all the FJ62's were fuel injected?

Thanks, guys. To OSS, it is Standard Operating Procedure to check the odometer, and African overland procedure to only pass a filling station if you know there is another one not too far ahead. However, with a newly rebuilt engine and bad carb I was not too sure what mileage I would get, so wanted a fuel gauge that would at least give me a fair indication.

And I managed: On the fuel gauge, right next to the famous set of points, there is a little screw. I tuned it out about one full turn, and instead of F it now shows just above one quarter, which is what I estimate is left.

Fuel gauge.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom