Fuel filter (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Greetings:

I will be installing new fuel filter this weekend to replace the original as a preventive maintance item. Are there any tricks I should know about accessing, removing, installing that could make the job easier?

Thanks,

Steve
94' 115,000

It's easier if you have small, womanly hands. Don't forget to de-pressurize the fuel system.

Pretty straight forward :banana:. I ran my tank very low before I made the replacement, so that any foreign material would be trapped in the sump. Easier to get any floaties out. Oh, and do not drop any of the little screws between the body and the gas tank. :whoops:.
Sean

??? are we talking about the screen in the gas tank or the inline filter that is nicely tucked under the intake manifold??

I assumed he was talking about the fuel filter under the intake, not the inlet sock on the fuel pump. Mine was very clean even at 146k miles. No need to replace it.

Hey Eduardo..

GOOD F-ing LUCK!!
replacing the fuel filter is the biggest PITA! After i tried it..i came to the conclusion that it might be easier to just pull the whole motor out! :D

maybe you could find a leprachaun to assist you .. at least you would get good luck and small hands to help :D

joe m

You are correct. I am talking about the fuel filter under the intake.

How would I go about depressureinzing the system before I start?

If I am not experiencing any fuel delivery problems ie hesitation, rough idle, etc., is this a maintenance item I should put off?

Thanks,

Steve
94 115,000

I used a long extension (from underside) to remove the mounting bolts, after I lossened the fuel lines. I don't recall if new seal washers were included with the filter, but I believe they are non-reusable.

SA,
I agree it is a PITA but with a little patience and a :beer:,
it wasent all that bad :D

The worst part of the whole job is getting the inside bolt started while holding the filter in position. It has been suggested to cut out that side of the mount so it is a slot shape. That way you can start the bolt and then slip the filter up into place. Then install the outer bolt. I wouldn't slot both sides but I beleive some have.

:whoops: :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap:. What planet am I on today ??? ???. I see it now. Fuel filter NOT fuel pump :slap: :slap: :slap:.
:slap:
Sean

Steve,

>> is this a maintenance item I should put off? <<

I bought a new one as a spare and slotted both sides. Rick suggested slotting only one side but it's too late... both holes on mine are already slotted and it's in the spare parts box that goes with the truck on outings. IMHO, the filter should be replaced when it's no longer doing it's job; i.e. fuel delivery problem due to a clogged filter. That being said, I believe in PM and will probably swap mine out some day... maybe around 200,000 miles if it doesn't act up before then.

-B-

Opening our gas cap should be enough to let the pressure off. It isn't techinically difficult, just a PITA as others have stated. Replaced mine at 120k service.

Opening the gas cap will NOT relieve fuel line pressure. Find a handy fuel line coupling and open it there to relieve pressure.

DougM

On the european cars I have owned/worked on, I would just pull the fuel pump fuse while running. WHen it dies, youhaveeleiminated teh pressure. No guarantees that this will work on a Toy, but no reason it shouldn't.

Jim

[quote author=TLCObsession link=board=2;threadid=7862;start=msg66293#msg66293 date=1069452993]
On the european cars I have owned/worked on, I would just pull the fuel pump fuse while running. WHen it dies, youhaveeleiminated teh pressure. No guarantees that this will work on a Toy, but no reason it shouldn't.

Jim
[/quote]

That's how I've done it. It's outlined in the manual, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom