fuel filter (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello!
for those who have change the fuel filter on a 3b engine, (BJ73) do you guys follow a special procedure? do you guys fill up the filter with fuel before installation? thanks your wisdom will be greatly appreciate it!

on a side note, i order the fuel filter from cruiserparts.net and it seems a lot smaller than the original, have any of you guys installed that one and whats your experience?

2H same-same.. I prefill my new fuel filters with Liqui Moly Diesel Purge Plus.. it saves having to reprime and maybe it gives the injectors a good clean - time will tell, I'll pull them in another 150,00klms or so.. I've been doing it for the past 50,000klms and the injectors were fresh at that time.

Prefilling with fuel is a bit risky as you're filling the clean side of the filter.. you'd have to be certain of the cleanliness of the fuel you're using.

2H same-same.. I prefill my new fuel filters with Liqui Moly Diesel Purge Plus.. it saves having to reprime and maybe it gives the injectors a good clean - time will tell, I'll pull them in another 150,00klms or so.. I've been doing it for the past 50,000klms and the injectors were fresh at that time.

Prefilling with fuel is a bit risky as you're filling the clean side of the filter.. you'd have to be certain of the cleanliness of the fuel you're using.
Thank you so much! I do happen to have a bottle of liquimoly

Thank you so much! I do happen to have a bottle of liquimoly

Make sure its Diesel Purge Plus.. as thats the only one designed to run at near 100% concentration

So, I just picked up a BJ70 with 3B and want to change out the fuel filter. Do any of you have step by step instructions? This is my first diesel, so I'm learning; go easy on me....

You undo the big white nylon nut at the bottom. Remove and replace filter. Be careful to make sure it goes on properly or they leak air. Wet the rubber seals with diesel and use the new ones that come with the filter. You can prefill the filter although if the hand pump is in good condition, it will pump it from the tank. But I would pre fill it unless you know the hand pump is good.
And get a manual.

You undo the big white nylon nut at the bottom. Remove and replace filter. Be careful to make sure it goes on properly or they leak air. Wet the rubber seals with diesel and use the new ones that come with the filter. You can prefill the filter although if the hand pump is in good condition, it will pump it from the tank. But I would pre fill it unless you know the hand pump is good.
And get a manual.

This method is not necessarily the case if it’s a 3B with inline pump. That fuel filter setup is different.

I don't think mine has a nut on the bottom. I'll need to check when I get home. I was asking for help as I've read/heard issues with getting air in the lines and wanted to know if anyone had any techniques to avoid that. I do have a Bosch (I think) pump below the filter where I assume I can pump fuel from the tank into the filter and bleed air from the top valve? Thanks. I have a manual as well, just not in front of me at the moment.

Funny - in the time it takes folks to read my request for help, ponder my ignorance, and pull up a funny meme (light bulb good idea, banging head, beating a mule, etc) and post it to their reply, they could have typed the answer, but I guess I deserve it. I'll have more stupid questions as I go through and learn this vehicle and it's motor, so stand by.

I don't think mine has a nut on the bottom. I'll need to check when I get home. I was asking for help as I've read/heard issues with getting air in the lines and wanted to know if anyone had any techniques to avoid that. I do have a Bosch (I think) pump below the filter where I assume I can pump fuel from the tank into the filter and bleed air from the top valve? Thanks. I have a manual as well, just not in front of me at the moment.

Funny - in the time it takes folks to read my request for help, ponder my ignorance, and pull up a funny meme (light bulb good idea, banging head, beating a mule, etc) and post it to their reply, they could have typed the answer, but I guess I deserve it. I'll have more stupid questions as I go through and learn this vehicle and it's motor, so stand by.
With every one of your questions you’ll receive 1 of 3 responses.

1) No answer at all …. This is chalked up to perhaps no one noticing your post or not understanding your question.
2) A helpful answer …. This is what ‘MUD is know for and the response you’ll receive from 99% of ‘MUD members.
3) A sarcastic or useless answer …. This is the one where you’ll wonder why they bothered to answer at all. (The 1% are very active)
….. and no you don’t deserve it.

Last edited:

I owned 5 cruisers with the old trusty 3B, and loved them. It was a little light on the power end, but they turbo well.

Prime the filter if you want, and be prepared to manually pump it until the primer pump gets stiff. Start it up, if it stays running, the air in the system will work itself out. If it stalls because of too much air in the system, repeat priming until it is stiff again, and start it up again. Rinse, repeat as necessary.

One of the features I really love about this engine is all the timing is gear driven, no belts to worry about. Very simple and easy to work on

You have a 3B with an inline pump. So what was said above is not applicable to your engine.

For your 3B, you screw the filter off, screw back on a new fuel filter and bleed the system.

Basically like any fuel filter on any vehicle manufactured globally in the 20th century.

I owned 5 cruisers with the old trusty 3B, and loved them. It was a little light on the power end, but they turbo well.

Prime the filter if you want, and be prepared to manually pump it until the primer pump gets stiff. Start it up, if it stays running, the air in the system will work itself out. If it stalls because of too much air in the system, repeat priming until it is stiff again, and start it up again. Rinse, repeat as necessary.

One of the features I really love about this engine is all the timing is gear driven, no belts to worry about. Very simple and easy to work on
Sweet. Now that is helpful. Thanks.

Re the turbo - the seller threw in a new turbo and gaskets. From reading, I think I'd need the 13BT manifold. After I baseline and read my manual 😀, my intent will be to install. Lots of questions on that.

I think this rig was built in the 20th century so I think I’m safe unscrewing and reinstalling.

Thank you.

Sweet. Now that is helpful. Thanks.

Re the turbo - the seller threw in a new turbo and gaskets. From reading, I think I'd need the 13BT manifold. After I baseline and read my manual 😀, my intent will be to install. Lots of questions on that.

I think this rig was built in the 20th century so I think I’m safe unscrewing and reinstalling.

Thank you.
Ain’t it cool when you hear from the 99%. 😁

This method is not necessarily the case if it’s a 3B with inline pump. That fuel filter setup is different.
Yes you are correct. For some reason I thought it was a 88 JDM BJ73 which in the parts diagram does has the filter on the firewall. I must have mixed it up with another BJ73.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom