Front Swaybar Removal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
In my process to 'upgrade' my suspension to an Ironman nitro performance 2" lift, I found that some of my front sway bar bolts were not good. The passenger side bolts seemed ok, but blew out and the swaybar was sagging on that side and totally disconnected from the chassis today. I cut the swaybar links (bolts rusted in) and took the swaybar off today with hopes to tap the bolt holes and re-install the sway bar later. That in mind, my drive after removing the swaybar was quite pleasant. The ride feels softer yet somehow more responsive. Out of curiosity, I was wondering how many other people run without the front sway bar and if there's really any purpose for it in a lifted GX?

There are many that do run without it. I think it is personal driving style and the area in which you live that makes the biggest difference. (mountains vs flat and straight like NJ)

I took mine off when I lifted my gx 2yrs ago and the ride has always felt responsive. I was told by many that it wasn't necessary. I read that it stiffens the ride up for more "handling" feel, but hampers when you need to maneuver or swerve quickly. I rather have the latter

I had the same issue. Three of the bolts that secure the sway bar to the frame snapped off when I tried to remove it during my suspension overhaul. The plan was to drive it with no sway bar to see how it feels, and then eventually drill out and replace the bolts. Honestly, I do not feel the need to even put the bar back on after 1.5ish years without it. I am running Bilstein 6112s with 650lb springs in the front, and it does not feel lumbering or super tippy like I was worried it would. It still feels top heavy, as you would expect from a lifted SUV, but not unstable by any means.

Happy here with no front even on mountain roads.

No sway bar means you rely on the springs more to prevent body roll, so with stiffer springs you are less likely to notice it gone. I've never tried driving with both removed, but my guess is that the spring stiffness required to prevent unreasonable body roll would be too stiff for a comfortable ride.

Are you guys with no front running with no rear?
I'm running no rear and thinking about dumping the front too.

I'm running front sway but no rear and I feel like this is the best setup. I tried running no front sway bar and it felt so bad on twisty mountain roads.

The front is so easy to remove and reinstall which is nice. So any time we go on some really technically off road trails, i spend 5 minutes removing the front bar and leave it in my garage.

Do you find your front articulates better with the front off?

I haven't found myself lacking in suspension travel with the Icon extended travel components, but more travel wouldn't be a bad thing.

I know when I had a jeep, sway bar disconnects were a very common and effective way to get a bit more travel. I haven't seen any designed for the GX. Maybe fabbing up a set is the answer.

Resurrecting because I’m thinking of ditching the sways. Is the better articulation off road noticiable? Less (human) body movement / head sway in the cab?

My buddy took his front sway bar off and we were amazed on the difference it made. Huge difference. I definitely would not remove both though! Here’s some proof!!!
78F661C0-DAD4-4BB2-8B6B-22554703C4E4.png
1C39AF8C-1433-4FF5-AC0A-E1422A676696.png

My buddy took his front sway bar off and we were amazed on the difference it made. Huge difference. I definitely would not remove both though! Here’s some proof!!!

Why wouldn’t you remove both? Too unstable on the road?

Too much body roll.. in my opinion. I might remove them both if I just used the truck strictly off road.

I'll weigh In on this. I removed my factor front SB but left the rear SB in place. Taking into account of the added stiffness the OME coilovers with 885's provide there was hardly any noticeable difference in body roll and still feels very safe and complient. Leaving the rear SB in place adds resistance that allows the front suspension to load and unload to get the most articulation.

However if you still have the factory front suspension installed I would forgo removing any swaybars. The factory suspension is way to soft in my opinion and you WILL experience excessive body roll.

I'll weigh In on this. I removed my factor front SB but left the rear SB in place. Taking into account of the added stiffness the OME coilovers with 885's provide there was hardly any noticeable difference in body roll and still feels very safe and complient. Leaving the rear SB in place adds resistance that allows the front suspension to load and unload to get the most articulation.

However if you still have the factory front suspension installed I would forgo removing any swaybars. The factory suspension is way to soft in my opinion and you WILL experience excessive body roll.
That’s great feedback… I have the Eibach stage 1 kit which is pretty soft and factory-like. I’ll keep it on and maybe pull it off for trails. I don’t see anybody making a front quick disconnect. I have seen them for the rear.

I agree with you regarding the need for stiffer springs and shocks required to stabilize the suspension when removing the front sway bar.

I have 700# front springs on my digressive Bilstein 6112s plus i have the HD Nolathane rear sway bar, but I don’t aftermarket bumpers nor roof rack nor tire carrier. These changes reduced the body roll to an acceptable level for my needs to get more articulation offroad, but it’s not the same stability (maybe 75% close to factory) as having both sway bars on.

The only thing this does is keep the tires more planted in rutted roads.

Also, I’ve heard good arguments and justification for removing only the rear sway bar with long travel rear components.

Last edited:
I agree with you regarding the need for stiffer springs and shocks required to stabilize the suspension when removing the front sway bar.

I have 700# front springs on my digressive Bilstein 6112s plus i have the HD Nolathane rear sway bar, but I don’t aftermarket bumpers nor roof rack nor tire carrier. These changes reduced the body roll to an acceptable level for my needs to get more articulation offroad, but it’s not the same stability (maybe 75% close to factory) as having both sway bars on.

The only thing this does is keep the tires more planted in rutted roads.

Also, I’ve heard good arguments and justification for removing only the rear sway bar with long travel rear components.
Have you watched the video I posted above? Can you expand on those arguments and justification to remove the rear only? I'm curious what they are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom