Front seat mounting points - US-spec FJ40 vs General-spec FJ43 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Polecat

SILVER Star
Threads
I'm looking to replace the front bench seat in my 1980 FJ43 with something that more closely resembles comfortable and safe. There are plenty of options of mounting adapters for a 1980 FJ40 with factory bucket seats, but no one (understandably) can tell me whether those adapters will also work for the same year with a factory bench seat. Does anyone know if the front seat mounting points for a 1980 US-spec FJ40 and a 1980 general-spec (South American) FJ43 are the same? Alternatively, for anyone who's swapped out a '79-'83 front bench seat for bucket seats, can you share what you did/how you did it? I can always buy a universal adapter and fab/weld, but I prefer simple and reversible when possible.

I replaced the front bench in my 1981 FJ43 with seats from a 1980 NA 40. They fit perfectly. You need to have the slide adjuster/frame not just the seats.
Driver side is a direct bolt in. The only difference between the single seat, driver side you have and a 40 spec is the headrest.
For the passenger side three of the 4 mounting holes line up. For the 4th mounting point I drilled a hole and fit a Zirk Nut in place. Worked perfectly.

devo

3EEB3E40-BBA1-4887-A328-719A26E70423.jpeg

Best pictures I can find right now. The channel has all the holes for both right and left drive.just need to add the fixed nut to get the a standard set up for buckets. Will need one in the back that matches the bucket on the side that is currently bench.
20220304_134754.jpg

20220304_134819.jpg

Here is a bench from a Middle East 45 setting in my US 40 that had buckets. Outside front and back lined up. Front lines up with a hole already in the channel. Back would require a hole drilled and some kind of net inserted.
IMG_20190831_134525934.jpg

I replaced the front bench in my 1981 FJ43 with seats from a 1980 NA 40. They fit perfectly. You need to have the slide adjuster/frame not just the seats.
Driver side is a direct bolt in. The only difference between the single seat, driver side you have and a 40 spec is the headrest.
For the passenger side three of the 4 mounting holes line up. For the 4th mounting point I drilled a hole and fit a Zirk Nut in place. Worked perfectly.

devo

View attachment 3234337
Thanks. Very helpful. So with adapters for a US FJ40, I’ll use 7 existing holes and drill for a rivnut for the 8th? Appreciate the quick response.

Thanks. Very helpful. So with adapters for a US FJ40, I’ll use 7 existing holes and drill for a rivnut for the 8th? Appreciate the quick response.

If your adding buckets you will need to had a fixed nut to a hole is already there on the bench side. Rear one will need drill one in the back and install a fix nut. Keep in mind the back is over the fuel tank. Drill to deep and into the tank.

I’m not sure what you mean by “adapters”?

There are already 7 fixed nuts from the OEM seats In the correct place. The 8th takes the riv nut. The fuel tank was not an issue.

devo
Adapters to fasten universal replacement seats to specific vehicle. They include the sliders.

I’m not sure what you mean by “adapters”?

There are already 7 fixed nuts from the OEM seats In the correct place. The 8th takes the riv nut. The fuel tank was not an issue.

devo

Actually the channel has three holes on the front side. Driver uses the outer one on that side. Passenger bucket uses the outer on that side. Bench uses the center hole RHD or LHD. Most likely will find the outer hole on the passenger side does not have a welded nut in that hole.
This is 82 tub that can see two two small holes for the feet of the heater under the center console.
20220304_134819.jpg

Comment about the fuel tank was just a caution. Besides ding in the tank possible wiring under there that could get damage. I have a 1/2" drill that with a sharp bit will cut thru like butter. Sure I'm not the only one a quick easy job turned into a nightmare by something that could have easily been avoided

Actually the channel has three holes on the front side. Driver uses the outer one on that side. Passenger bucket uses the outer on that side. Bench uses the center hole RHD or LHD. Most likely will find the outer hole on the passenger side does not have a welded nut in that hole.
This is 82 tub that can see two two small holes for the feet of the heater under the center console.
View attachment 3234605

Comment about the fuel tank was just a caution. Besides ding in the tank possible wiring under there that could get damage. I have a 1/2" drill that with a sharp bit will cut thru like butter. Sure I'm not the only one a quick easy job turned into a nightmare by something that could have easily been avoided
Good reminder either way. Like you, I excel at turning an easy project into a bigger problem.

devo

View attachment 3234337
I’m also curious about your Tuffy box. Anything special you needed to do to mount it between the buckets?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom