Front running light question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If I understand correctly, the following pictures should illustrate what you are trying to do. They were borrowed from Christo's site, so I hope he's not angry with me.

This picture shows the screw that need to be taken out so that the corner lens can be pulled out. There is only one screw per side to make it possible for the lenses removal.

Assuming you have an 80 series.

Remove the phillips screw under the hood next to the screw that holds in the headlight.

Gently, but firmly pull forward until the pin on the bottom pulls loose. THe older they are, the harder they come out. WIggling and jiggling helps. Wiggle the marker light, Junk, not what you're thinking. :slap:

Where is Mike anyway? :dunno:

After that screw is removed, you will need to pull the lens out as straight as possible. There is a small pin that locks into a rubber grommet thingy holding the lens in place.

These intructions are assuming that the 91-92 lights are the same as on my 94. It worked for me. I hope this helps...

Gumby,
Mike is out for a while. I hope we seem him back and at full steam next week. Maybe sooner if he is feeling OK.
-B-

Thanks guys, that is exactly what I needed to know. I figured it had to be easier then it looked. Glad I didn't disassemble my whole front end. That definately saves me some time. I need to get the factory service manual, all that I have is the Haynes and it is practically useless for everything I've needed it for so far.

Up,

>> ... the Haynes and it is practically useless <<
>> for everything I've needed it for so far. <<

Agreed. Haynes has a section on antenna and radio removal that is not covered anywhere in the FSM. Haynes also has some tips for the DIY guy and offers alternatives to SST's. I sometimes read their section on a given procedure just to fill in to what the FSM has. Sometimes their pictures give a little better idea of where to find a specific part that isn't clear in the FSM.

I wish they would come out with one specifically for the 80 series. Trying to cover the FJ60's along with the 80's makes for a very weak manual. IMHO.
-B-

I replaced it yesterday, thanks for the help and pictures. Without them I wouldn't have believed that one little pin was holding on so hard. I had to pry a flat head back behind the assembly then give it a couple taps to get the pin to release. The pin was a little corroded and wasn't willing to let go without a fight. I put some teflon bike lube on the pin when I reinstalled.

I also painted all of the chrome black on the grill, it had always bugged me.

Up-

While you've got it out you might as well add a blinker to both sides.  I did this, used relays and 50w 1156 bulbs, you can see my turn signals from two blocks away!

http://www.sleeoffroad.com/technical/tz_indicator.htm

50 watt blinkers? damn! Isn't that a little overkill? I want to show traffic which way I'm turning, not blind them with amber light flashes :D

Re: Front running light question - OT

Wulf:

I couldn't resist this off topic post...those two buttons...the ones in your avatar... I NEED 'EM!!!!

Also.......tell me about the 'LEDs' mentioned in your profile...maybe on another thread or PM

Kit

Kit,
There's NO WAY I'm giving up control of the Global Destruct button. :D

The LED's have been discussed here and on SOR a few times. George Scalero has a wonderful web site. He was recently "down sized" and is making these as a side business. They are expensive but worth every penny he charges. I haven't heard a single complaint. Even Junk likes them!

http://www.geocities.com/george_tlc/

I have two domes and 4 door LED's. I will be ordering the map light LED's RSN.

Regarding the buttons in my Avatar... &nbsp:Do you want the image or do you need some real buttons?

-B-

-B-

Oh....THOSE L.E.D.s.....I put mine in last week (2 domes, one map). I thought maybe you had little flashing LEDs on your dash somewhere...:)

BUTTONS BUTTONS BUTTONS

Kit,
The buttons are virtual. I thought about waiting on Dan to get me one of the James Bond ejection seat buttons from a 1967 Toyota 2000 GT then I started thinking about how much that was gonna cost me [OUCH!] so I surfed to someone's web site and stole their buttons.

I can sell you those and then I'll use the nifty one that Bill did for me. I'll have to disable the "Global Destruct" button but if you're interested let me know. $500 sound fair? If so, send to Beowulf@PayPal.com :G

-B-

-B-

Check your Paypal Account. I went ahead and sent $2k for the 'destruct - enabled' version....

Kit,
Sorry but no deal. Having the true power of the Global Destruct button is worth a lot more than $2k; a LOT more.

Does $3,750 sound fair?
-B-

(Dan, put my name on that TRD S/C you have on the shelf)

-B-,

I laid your thong over the top of the box, it's hidden from view now.....................should be safe enuf ::)

Up,

>> I replaced it yesterday, thanks for the help and pictures. <<

Your question was asked, answered, and you completed the project. What we do with the thread now is immaterial. :G

-B-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom