Front/Rear Lockers only work if moving forward slowly... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The factory front/rear lockers on my '96 LX450 only seem to work if I'm moving forward slowly, over uneven ground - helps align the teeth, I'm sure.

My question is, should they lock up when I'm sitting at a standstill? Or should they require some movement?

I have used lockers in other trucks before, pneumatic factory lockers, and they locked up at a standstill. I can't recall how the factory e-locker in my old '99 4Runner used to locked up - I think it needed some movement, but can't be sure.

Anyway... I know the lockers in my truck were never used (just bought this LX450) by the previous mall rat owners. So I'm wondering if these are functioning properly, or not?

Splines have to line up. Movement is necessary for that to happen unless they just happened to line up perfectly when you stopped. So, yes, they are functioning correctly.

cheers,
george.

At least they are working....Ha. normal though...

What can I do for them, maintenance-wise? I have been exercising them as much as possible. Anything else? Fluids, etc?

There are some great threads on here about how to time and rebuild the actuators.

not a maintenance heavy item. There are some good rebuild threads but I wouldn't touch them if operating normal which sounds like they are. Even with the pneumatics in the past you may audibly here the collar shift but until you get some movement to align the teeth its not fully engaged.

only thing id do is make sure the breather tube is not plugged. Pull it off and blast a lil air through there. If they get clogged they can develop moisture in the lines which drains back into the motor housing and rusts up real nice.

My brand new Tacoma with a rear locker needed some movement to engage Once and while you will get lockup right away. Normal

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom