Front Lower Shock Loose?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, I own a HDJ81 Landcruiser and recently going over small bumps or speed bumps in the city, ive been hearing a tinging noise from somewhere in the front end, and so i finally got under the truck to do a complete inspection, and found that the two front lower shocks, are super loose and the washers are moving around and the bushings seem really worn out.
My truck has a 3" OME lift, just wondering if it might be time to change out the shocks, or possibly just replace the bushings?

Thanks

Does it ride fine?
Do the shocks feel worn when you drive it?
How old are the shocks?
Not enough info on the shocks to make a call.

Tighten it up, if the bushings are worn get new ones at a local parts store.

D

Yeah, i ordered it from Japan, and all the work was already done, so I'm not sure how long its been on the truck for, the shocks seem to work just fine, i think I'll just try replacing the bushings and tightening everything up for now and see if that helps.
Otherwise, the truck rides perfectly.

New bushings should do you right
Lets see some pics of the Jap import

Don't have enough post to add an avatar yet, maybe you'll see me driving around Vancouver sometime.

x2 tightenwhat you got with new bushing, if no worky then shocks are that spendy and just replace. IMO.

:lol: no pics because of dirt! Well be sure to park in front of the mall and take pics when its clean :flipoff2:

I just replaced my rubber with poly ones from rancho. WAY better!!

just keep an eye on it so you dont pop off the lower shock mount like my parents previa did a few times. thats when you need new shocks.

Just sheared off the bottom of my front shock, trying to replace a dang bushing!!! Anyone know of any shocks that i can pick up locally that would bolt right onto the truck and possibly provide a part number?
Its a HDJ81 with 3" OME Lift.
The Original shocks in the front were the rancho rs5000.
Also wondering if its safe to drive locally to go get the part, im down to one vehicle at the moment.
Thanks in advance!

When I installed the Ironman, I have to get those front shocks rally tight. :beer:

Just a head's up that often with a lifted vehicle, shock or shock mount problems or premature shock bushing wear are a sign that the shock's stroke is not properly matched to the lift/springs. Meaning the poor shock is being used to limit suspension movement. So, check that this shock is correct before replacing it. Usually the stroke length is the problem and usually nobody's put an extension on the suspension limiter the factory installed, etc.

So you actually broke the shock? Or the bolt that holds it?

DougM

Just sheared off the bottom of my front shock, trying to replace a dang bushing!!! Anyone know of any shocks that i can pick up locally that would bolt right onto the truck and possibly provide a part number?
Also wondering if its safe to drive locally to go get the part, im down to one vehicle at the moment.
Thanks in advance!

You could get OME shocks pretty fast up there, since it's just across the border. 60070L are the OME shocks for 3-5" lift front ends.

Yes, you could drive without a shock if you really had to, but prepare for some super bounciness.:bounce: It may even feel out of control. I'd try to hold off from driving it, and use the phone to figure out where the parts are.

Thanks in advance!

rancho shocks should have a lifetime(?) warranty. Check with a Rancho dealer (ie, Lordco Auto Parts) and see if they can help you out.

Well I made it to work, 22 km away, without a problem but I went pretty slow and it didn't feel too bad.
Anyways, unfortunately I dont have a receipt for the rancho shocks so the likelyhood the warranty would cover them is pretty slim, although I do know someone who works at Lordco, and I'll be phoning him later today.
As with the OME, where abouts across the border can I find them in Washington?
I don't mind going for a drive to pick up a quality part such as this.

A buddy I just spoke to recommends bilstein shocks, they come in 10, 12, and 14".
He recommends the 12".
Here's a link if someone would like to check em out, let me know what you think.

Toyota, Suzuki Samurai, and Jeep Off Road Parts

Those will not work on the 80 series, the stock shocks are pin to pin those are eye to eye. I would think your friend does not know what he is taking about. He may think the setup on your 80 is the same as a mini truck and it is not.

you could get the adapters to use the eye/eye set up. or if you can wait try the radflos im eyeing up a set of those for when i get new shocks Radflo Suspension Technology. or if you need something reallyfast just get the cheepo stock height shocks untill the new ones come in, just dont flex it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom