Front locker removal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

DKW

Threads
I have a front axle with locker (no rear) so i connected it with an after market wiring harness (12v guy). It has recently stopped working so i have been troubleshooting. The fork position switch shows continuity in both positions, and i think that is not normal? so i think something is going on at the locker itself, cant see any other issues.

Do i just simply remove the bolts and pull it out? Is there anything else to look out for, position of gear or any parts that could fall out? I read up on it and i think it does just come out and thats it, but want to check with anyone who has done this.

Going away with truck in a few days and don't want to jeopardize that trip, so weighing up to wait until after trip

Thanks

Start with the simplest of tests before you start removing the locker. Not exactly sure how your setup works but assuming the "fork position switch" controls an indicator light. First would be testing the sensor switch and its wiring at the axle. Disconnect the switch, that should turn any indicator light off. If not you have a wiring issue. Next remove the switch and test by manually operating the switch. This is most likely the failure point.

Thanks. I removed and tested the switch. The switch that shows continuity in both positions is internal inside the locker. I think it is called fork position switch.

We recently removed a locker out of a LC we are parting out to sell. We took the axle out and forgot to engage the locker before we dissembled the LC. The locker has to be engaged in order to remove it from the axle, and to answer your question, yes you just remove the bolts and pull it out. Get ready though, that thing is HEAVY. I would discount the switch at the locker on the axle and run power to it from a battery to try and manually engage it as suggested above. You will hear it engage. If you hear it engage then there is an issue somewhere in your wiring.

If i apply a 9v battery direct to the motor, i may be able hear if its trying to do something, right? But i also saw somewhere that the motor may over shoot, as the switches are not connected. Does anyone have any knowledge of this, or is there a better way to try this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom