front end vibration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
my 1997 lx-450 started vibrating in the front end. it's a rotational vibration that is first noticeable at about 40mph then it somewhat goes away or is drowned by other noises at higher speed, the vibration becomes very much more noticeable when the truck is coasting and really strong in sweeping left hand turns. feels like a wheel bearing or differential gears. locking the front diff makes no difference

had the front axle rebuilt, did not help, maybe slight wore afterwards, front diff fluid was changed and very drity but no major metal particles

Could be loose front wheel bearings, at least thats what it was on mine.

I second loose wheel bearing. I don't follow the factory procedure for torque/preload anymore. Do the. 6 and 12 o'clock shake to check for loose bearings.

Also wheel balance.

Last two times I had funny vibes like that it was slightly loose panhard bolts. (Once a couple years ago was the lower after installing a lift and 2nd was after a axel swap more recent)

thanks for the replys and ideas, but the frequency of the vib is much faster than an unbalanced wheel, speed wise it feels more like the teeth of a diff grinding than the rotation of a wheel

I'm thinking possibly driveshaft or u-joints. Did you take off the DS during your rebuild? Did you disassemble your DS? If so it could be out of phase. Did you put the DS in backwards?

This is a long shot, but what about a lost/broken snap-ring on the end of the axle inside the left front hub? This could allow the axle to shift inboard and allow the birf to start to wobble.

Keep us posted.

just took out the front drive shaft, that made no difference, checked the axles and the snap rings are there

also rotated the wheels, no difference

it's more of a chain saw or a bee buzzing vibration

just took out the front drive shaft, that made no difference, checked the axles and the snap rings are there

Did you do the 6-12 o'clock shake? I have a suspicion that maybe when new bearings were installed they the races were not correctly seated.

repacked the front wheels bearings no difference

still could be a bad wheel bearing or spindle

noise is strongest at 40 mph and coasting and left hand turns so a wheel bearing kinda fits

repacked the front wheels bearings no difference

still could be a bad wheel bearing or spindle

noise is strongest at 40 mph and coasting and left hand turns so a wheel bearing kinda fits

How did the bearing races look? How did you set preload on the bearings? Were the journal on the spindle worn?

This is what improper seating of the bearing races in the hub and not checking your preload after 2,000 miles

These were also new bearings packed with new 10 year old wheel bearing grease that started to separate.

image-2083802230.jpg

image-1019619114.jpg

With the front end up off the ground grab each front tire at the 6:00 and 12:00 position (top and bottom of tire) and try to wobble it back and forth. You would be looking for some loose play

Thanks. Checked tonight and sure enough passenger side front was loose. Tightened it up and vib is all gone.

After road test passenger bearing was hotter than driver side. I could still hold my hand on it though barely. Rear bearings were cool. Should I be worried?

(Forgot to take roof rack off before entering garage. :-( rack is bent truck has no damage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom