Front E-Locker Diff Stuck on Removal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Title says it all. I am pulling the front e locked third member to regear it to 5.29 and it is good and stuck. The front axle is completely torn down, and the front was locked and verified it was locked before disassembly.

It seems to be hanging up at the top passenger side of the housing. I can’t get the diff to go back on now normally it is so cockeyed.

Any help, tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

I just went through this. Pull the actuator and confirm visually and physically that the the axle is unlocked.
Hopefully you did not damage anything try to Force it out.
Once you get the actuator out you can manually lock the axle and remove the third.
I am assuming both axle shafts have been removed.
Last how did you verifier that it was locked?

Last edited:
I just went through this. Pull the actuator and confirm visually and physically that the the axle is unlocked.
Hopefully you did not damage anything try to Force it out.
Once you get the actuator out you can manually unlock the axle and remove the third.
I am assuming both axle shafts have been removed.
Last how did you verifier that it was locked?
The axle is down to the bare housing, I am rebuilding the knuckles while I do the regear.

When I parked the truck, I jacked up the front, went to Low to turn on the CDL, then turned on the lockers for front and rear. I then rotated the front tires until I heard the actuator lock into place and verified by trying to turn the tires more.

There’s nothing else to get hung up on. Pull the actuator. Basically you have no other choice unless you’ve gotten it out all ready or want to cut a hole in the housing.
Again on my third time removing the third it got hung up. Upper passenger side I thought it was locked somehow it wasn’t
Got it locked and she came right out.

Pulled the actuator and confirmed it is locked. I have no clue how to get it loose.
E68065C0-5903-4026-9A40-8D03C558C956.jpeg

If it’s still jammed use the mounting hardware to gently pull the third member back to the housing.
Then reinspect the shift collar

Pulled the actuator and confirmed it is locked. I have no clue how to get it loose. View attachment 2792488
Mine also fought back on the way out. Made it happen by rotating the pinion flange with one hand while pulling/rocking/wiggling the 3rd with the other. The ring gear was catching on the housing...by rotating the pinion & ring gear, the gear got traction where it was kissing the housing and caused the 3rd to pretty much walk itself right out. This was with the factory 4.10's on the way out. On the way back in with 4.88's, spinning the pinion in the opposite direction helped it settle back in. Good Luck!

I was finally able to get the diff out. I used a big brass punch to seat it back in the axle housing, manually locked and unlocked it multiple times and spun the flange while pulling it out as mentioned above. Thanks for the help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom