Front disc brakes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok- just purchased a 1974 FJ55 and I need to get the front brakes done- so I thought that if I am going to spend the money on fixing the existing drum brakes, I may as well put the cash into a disc conversion. Well, there are a lot of options out there. Anyone know which option is my best bet?

Specter's disc conversion kit-

Man-A-Fre's converions kit-

Or finding another axle with the disc brakes-

Thanks!

Sean

The SOR and MAF kits still leave you with the coarse spline birfields so I would not do those. Plus they are not cheap. I would just do the mini truck disk brake conversion. You get the stronger birfields and replacement parts are abundant. Finding another cruiser disk brake axle is doable but more hassel that just getting a mini front axle and swapping the birfields and the knuckles onto your housing.
-Brian

Sean-

A word of advice, throw out your MAF catalog and buy nothing from Specter you can find everyday somewhere else. Now that that is done.

"mini truck" conversion parts (1979-1985 4wd) are common and those parts off a front axle can be found at any number of wrecking yards or from people who have scavenged them for deceased project. Expect to pay $100-$250 for these. There are *at least* 5 web sites (many linked via woody's links) on a how to. The 'upgrade' is to install vented rotors (and their calipers) which are on LC's but not mini's. Review the conversion protocols before getting back with questions.

Thanks for the advice. It is difficult to know which direction to go when you are new at this. So much conflicting advice. Last week someone steered me away from the mini-truck conversion because they said it wouldn't be strong enough for the fj55.

Someone steered you away from a mini conversion because "not strong enough"? Of the pieces, the knuckle castings, spindle, wheel hub and bearings, free hubs, birfields, and essentially the backing plates are identical to a FJ60 set up. Steering arms have a different angle but are just as strong. Rotors on mini are solid but are 100% interchangeable for vented (as stated above).

I am glad you are checking here because you should have serious doubts on any of the mechanical knowledge of whomever gave you that info

Check out the "For Sale "section of this forum, Nuclearlemon has all the disc brake gear from a 77, $400 for everything I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom