Front Diff Replacement Cost & Questions

Joined
Jun 18, 2003
Messages
7,914
Location
Raleigh, NC
 
 
 
The front diff thread has brought up a few questions.

1. If I destroy a front diff and want to replace it with an ARB, do you have to purchase a new toyota diff and the arb locker? I need some schooling on what the ARB replaces.

2. What would be the cost of a new front diff from toyota?

3. IF you just have to purchase the ARB, what is the typical cost of the ARB locker, install and compressor?

Thank you.

uzj100
 

tabraha

Hello My Name is: TAD
SILVER Star
Joined
Aug 20, 2003
Messages
2,544
Location
South Carolina
 
 
 
I've been quoted @ $2800 to FULLY lock my LX. Front ARB, Rear ARB, compressor, lines, switches, and labor.

Price of the ARB diff by itself is ~$785, uninstalled.

One other option for the thrifty is to buy the ARB diff, have it installed and don't do the plumbing or compressor. You then have the strongest diff available and you can plumb and add the compressor later very easily. I don't personally plan on this route but it is an option.
 
Joined
Jun 18, 2003
Messages
7,914
Location
Raleigh, NC
 
 
 
Very interesting on the cost saver approach. So about $1400 for the front, diff, install and compressor.

Thank you,

uzj100
 
Joined
Apr 2, 2003
Messages
8,683
Location
Tucson, AZ
I have the 1 month old front diff for my 2001 (4 pinion) in the ARB box. $100 plus $20 shipping. I havea rear also...$100 plus $20 shipping. Rear has ~40K miles on it. Send me a check! :)
 
Last edited:

tabraha

Hello My Name is: TAD
SILVER Star
Joined
Aug 20, 2003
Messages
2,544
Location
South Carolina
 
 
 
ShottsUZJ100 said:
I have the 1 month old front diff for my 2001 (4 pinion) in the ARB box. $100 plus $20 shipping. I havea rear also...$100 plus $20 shipping. Send me a check! :)

That's a deal folks!!!! Somebody better jump on that!
 

hoser

SILVER Star
Joined
Dec 21, 2003
Messages
10,284
Location
Bay Area, CA
 
 
 
uzj100 said:
Very interesting on the cost saver approach. So about $1400 for the front, diff, install and compressor.
If it's $2800 for both, it'll be more like $1600 for just one as one compressor runs both lockers. I'm planning to run my lockers off my CO2 tank instead.
 
Joined
Apr 28, 2003
Messages
2,482
Location
Turquoise Trail, N NM
 
 
 
ShottsUZJ100 said:
I have the 1 month old front diff for my 2001 (4 pinion) in the ARB box. $100 plus $20 shipping. I havea rear also...$100 plus $20 shipping. Rear has ~40K miles on it. Send me a check! :)
Hey, John. You're gears are 4.3 factory, right? It's still at least 4 months until I can get a '03+ LX, but if you still have it then, I'd be interested, plus I'm right across town.
 
Joined
Apr 2, 2003
Messages
8,683
Location
Tucson, AZ
Jim_Chow said:
Hey, John. You're gears are 4.3 factory, right? It's still at least 4 months until I can get a '03+ LX, but if you still have it then, I'd be interested, plus I'm right across town.
4:3 (just like a TV...an older-style TV) :D
 

Cruiserdrew

On the way there
SILVER Star
Joined
Mar 15, 2003
Messages
15,889
Location
Sacramento, CA
 
 
 
ShottsUZJ100 said:
I have the 1 month old front diff for my 2001 (4 pinion) in the ARB box. $100 plus $20 shipping. I havea rear also...$100 plus $20 shipping. Rear has ~40K miles on it. Send me a check! :)
That is a stupendous deal. If I had a 100 series, I'd jump on it, especially with the way these rigs go through front diffs.
 

spressomon

glutton
Moderator
Joined
Jan 9, 2005
Messages
13,318
Location
Northern Nevada
 
 
 
tabraha said:
I've been quoted @ $2800 to FULLY lock my LX. Front ARB, Rear ARB, compressor, lines, switches, and labor.

Price of the ARB diff by itself is ~$785, uninstalled.

One other option for the thrifty is to buy the ARB diff, have it installed and don't do the plumbing or compressor. You then have the strongest diff available and you can plumb and add the compressor later very easily. I don't personally plan on this route but it is an option.

Also if you want to save labor dollars...and it does not involve anything technical...remove the front and rear diffs yourself then have the ARB's installed...then reinstall the diffs....that should save you about $900. And if you do the front when you are replacing/rebuilding the CV shafts it is that much easier!
 
Joined
Nov 6, 2005
Messages
762
Location
Napa, California
 
 
Well, I'm learning more and more about the cost of this everyday. Below is part #41110-60821 Carrier assy. Toyota list price $1108.91 and purchased for $899.00 plus tax. This is a four pinion unit that replaces the two pinion unit for a 1998-2002 USA UZJ100 with 4.30 gear ration.
 
Joined
Nov 6, 2005
Messages
762
Location
Napa, California
 
 
Yes, that was the joke in my front Diff explosion thread. I called a "Toyota Specialist" slavage yard in Sacramento CA, and was quoted $1500 for the same thing. NIXX99 up in Washington was very nice on the phone, but stated he didn't have one and "they are scarce". I recieved multiple suggestions about online parts sources in that thread, and they're out there for $300 to $700, just hard to find. Carriers can be found also in you look for someone who's put a ARB in like Shotts. And as for the two pinion setup? Have a nice day!
 
Joined
Jan 13, 2005
Messages
1,114
Location
Louisville, KY
Campfire said:
Well, I'm learning more and more about the cost of this everyday. Below is part #41110-60821 Carrier assy. Toyota list price $1108.91 and purchased for $899.00 plus tax. This is a four pinion unit that replaces the two pinion unit for a 1998-2002 USA UZJ100 with 4.30 gear ration.
So this was the whole unit including r&p and diff? Could you buy just the housing by itself or did you have to buy as an "assembly"? Obviously, with all the damage you had, you probably needed the assembly, just curious if it could be purchased separately. $900 bucks isn't really all that bad for the whole assembly; I thought it would have been much more than that for the whole thing. Are you still going to throw in an ARB while it's out?
 
Joined
Jan 13, 2005
Messages
1,114
Location
Louisville, KY
Campfire said:
Yes, that was the joke in my front Diff explosion thread. I called a "Toyota Specialist" slavage yard in Sacramento CA, and was quoted $1500 for the same thing. NIXX99 up in Washington was very nice on the phone, but stated he didn't have one and "they are scarce". I recieved multiple suggestions about online parts sources in that thread, and they're out there for $300 to $700, just hard to find. Carriers can be found also in you look for someone who's put a ARB in like Shotts. And as for the two pinion setup? Have a nice day!
Is that the spider gear that's in pieces? I like the smiley face by the way; nice to see you keeping it all in perspective. Good luck getting it all back together and keep postin' up the pics while in the process.
 

hoser

SILVER Star
Joined
Dec 21, 2003
Messages
10,284
Location
Bay Area, CA
 
 
 
Greg B said:
So this was the whole unit including r&p and diff? Could you buy just the housing by itself or did you have to buy as an "assembly"? Obviously, with all the damage you had, you probably needed the assembly, just curious if it could be purchased separately. $900 bucks isn't really all that bad for the whole assembly; I thought it would have been much more than that for the whole thing. Are you still going to throw in an ARB while it's out?
Here are the list prices. I'm guessing the "case" is the differential housing.

Differential Case
. 4130160032
. $407.26

Carrier Cover
. 4110860010
. $181.82

Pinion Gear
. 4134130011
. $45.30

Carrier
. 4111060821
. $1108.91
 

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom