Front diff leak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

Thanks for your contribution to this forum. I have a 2004 LX470 that I'm baselining (long story on my prior post). There is a leak coming from the PS front diff where the inner CV axle meets. DS and propeller shaft sides look clean. Diff fluid was changed at 125k which was 25k ago -- according to the service history -- is full and looks clean. I'm going to try to clean the diff breather but wanted to know if there is only an outer diff oil seal or is there also an inner oil seal? I assume it's only the outer seals for the DS/PS CV's and an inner seal for the propeller shaft. I'm hoping I can do this just from outside the diff on the CV side and don't need to drop 3rd crossmember and disassemble the front diff 🤞

Thanks for any input!

Inner seal needs to be replaced. CV needs to come out. Diff does not need to come out.

did you notice the exact same thread that's going on on the 1st page that is titled almost exactly what you titled your thread? read that one.
Screenshot_20200505-141614.png

did you notice the exact same thread that's going on on the 1st page that is titled almost exactly what you titled your thread? read that one.

@Brandon Ryder I appreciate you taking the time to reply. I'm not in the habit of reading the daily posts and titles but I did do a search for "front diff leak" using the search function inside the 100-Series Cruisers specific forum which yielded several threads on the subject. I read many of them (10-20) which did not provide the answer. It is interesting that that thread did not show up. I apologize for the duplicate post but... really, what were the odds?

don't sweat it. i just thought it was funny and had spent some time replying to that thread which is current and on going. i linked to it so if someone is searching in the future they don't hit a dead in when they find this one.

Yep - most of the info you need is in that thread. If you don't want to do duplicate work, just know that getting to that seal will have you work through a number of other tasks that should be done such as greasing spindle bearings, repacking wheel bearings, replacing hub seals and new c-clips.

Hey man, that other thread was started by me. I replaced the driver side seal but it should be the same process. My thread has a few good videos on how to remove the CV without pulling the whole knuckle. The passenger side seal is different so make sure you buy the right one.

I popped the upper ball joint and removed the tie rod and barely had enough room to slide out the CV

I found I had to pull the diff side first, then pull out the wheel side. install was the opposite so it would fit. Stick the CV in the wheel then I had to very carefully line up the diff side of the CV (which just barely lined up with the hole without hitting the seal) and carefully insert.

Only thing I would buy is a seal puller tool if you don't have one. My seal was stuck so hard I couldn't get it out with anything else. would have saved me about 2 hours

@AlpineAccess and @thebeedeegee,

I really appreciate your contribution! I did read through your thread after it was appropriately pointed out to me and it answered all my questions with great explanations and bonus material. Feel a little dumb about the duplicate post, must be the season for front diff leaks. Thebeedeegee, your input and recent experience were a big help here, thanks! I have several projects to tackle at the moment in order of priority for rig safety etc (and some simple things I can do in the afternoons) but I hope to tackle this leak in short order. I'm glad Toyota decided to make this access easier than the internal seals some have for front diffs! Thanks to everyone

Buy an OEM seal.

SLC470 - So funny! Mine started leaking yesterday too and I saw yours and the other guys post. I'm going to see if doing a fluid change and clearing the breather hose will fix my issue before I take it apart. If you want to attempt this, I'm down to meet at my place or yours and we can tackle the project together.

i'm down in Lehi.

@BigZPatt, Heck yeah! I was hoping to find someone around SLC who was similarly minded (didn't think it would be too hard around here). Let's definitely meet up. I'll PM you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom