Front diff installation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Truck is a 1990 with a 22RE. I'm re-gearing so I pulled the front diff out. There were a lot of shenanigans in the removal, so I'm looking for tips to make re-installing easier. The FSM was not too helpful for the removal. Looks like I should knock out the little studs on the diff to make things easier. They hung up on everything on the way out. Any other tips?

I seem to recall that you need to turn the steering wheel hard to driver and everything drops right in. If I'm mistaken, then try steering hard to passenger.

I recall that having a colorful vocabulary made life easier even if it didn't make the install go better. I replaced both half-shafts at the same time, so I had the lower BJ's loose while doing the install. No idea if that made it easier or not. Compounding the issue for me was that the ARB fitting had been placed where it hit the 3.0's oil pan. So I got to partly remove it and install it several times while 'adjusting' the oil pan for clearance.

I have the colourful vocab down in about 3 languages. Removal was a battle with the half shafts losing their end caps and getting grease everywhere.

I was just really glad that I had not yet welded in the lower rear control arm mounts brace that some of my fellow desert race guys were telling me that I needed to have. That would have made the whole thing impossible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom