Front diff. breather? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was looking around on my axles for breathers, was gonna place some small filters on the ends. i notice that my front axle diff doesnt have a breather. is this normal...thanks

My 81 front axle has a fitting with a hose routed above the axle's height. The 78 I used to have had a valve with a cap instead.

it has to have one otherwise the pressure would build and cause fluid to leak past the seal. are you sure that there isn't crap blocking the hole where it used to be? my 40's and 45 are all on the longside just above where the brakeline t.

Hmm. funny you talk about grease leaking. my drivers side hub has been leaking grease for a little while now.....i'm swapping out my 3rd members soon and we're doing new seals, maybe that is the problem...

not grease..90wt. the grease is only in the hub area. it's common for the knuckle seals to be leaking on older cruisers and to need replacement, but if there's no place for the pressure in the diff to vent, you'll blow 90wt past the inner axle seal and will have 90wt mixed in with the grease. when you pull the hub, if the grease is watery in consistancy, you've got 90wt in it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom