Front Bumper Build pics (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

450 DUDE said:
thanx Dusty , for being so generious in the amount of photos with this build.
you givin me plenty of ideas for my front bumper project.

Walking Eagle, im also stealing your retangle tubing scheme.

thanks again ken

Dusty - looks great - thanks for the photos and the dims. Love all the detail photos. Glad you showed the back side. I might actually be able to do something like this. Lot of people seem to not like it going up so high - they're allowed that opinion. The one thing that can't be denied though is the bottom side is better than some of the other options, since there are no verticle surfaces to ram into rocks.

Seeing it go from mock-up to complete - very cool. Cool too to get to "mess" with your pictures to see how changes might look.

Showd it to a friend at work -he thinks it's cool too, but we both agree it'd look better with some 35" Bogger behind it :)

Ken - nothing spectacular in the the retangle tubing scheme - if you beat me to actualy doing it (with a baby coming in 4-5 weeks, it's likely) I only ask you share as many photos as Dusty has.

Heath

very cool. i wish i could fab like that. but i think you should have cut it above the yellow line like in that one pic. would have made it lighter and better looking in my opinion. but very cool though

Heath,
I do need some big rubbers--working on that. of note: when i had the bumper tacked together there was a slight flex on the ends if I realy torxed hard on it with all my massive muscles. That flex probably would have been eliminated with the final weld but to be safe I placed those gussets on the back of the bumper.

I still think those turn lights on the 80 series look wrong. My interpretation is just that but I still think it cool if others would build bumpers eliminating the turn signals.

Another important trick i have picked fabbing stuff that bolts to frame bolts: take your time on the brackets that bolt to the frame--get the holes just right the first so that there is little tolerence between the bolts and the holes they occupy. then tack the bumper build up to the brackets that are bolted tight to the frame. try not to tack pieces to the bumper when the bumper is off the truck as this can cause changes in the position of the frame brackets (of course rear gussets will need to be placed when bumper off frame). After bumper is tacked together remove it from the frame for final weld up. As you weld up the bumper the position of the brackets will change slightly and may affect its alignment with the frame holes. so before you try and put the bumper back on the truck drill out your bracket holes 1/32-1/16 to account for the movement in the brackets durring the final weld up. If you are in a hurry when making the original bracket holes and have to make them large to account for your sloppiness you will need to make them even larger after the final weld up.
I believe this hole issue is important because you dont want mounting holes in your bumper that are way bigger than the bolt...hit something or pull from your bumper and it may move-especially if you have relatively tight tolerances between bumper and body. Ive seen guys secure bumpers to frame with large body washers to account for big holes-not wise. A beefy bumper isn't worth much if it aint held down.

Dusty said:
I do need some big rubbers--

I used to tell all my dates that....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom