Front axle spindle, race, hub wear - opinions wanted (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

bpenn1980

SILVER Star
Threads
Took down the DS front axle this afternoon. Got it cleaned up a bit this evening and noticed some wear. I measured preload before I disassembled and it was 4-5lbs per fish scale.

The last time I did the front axle was 60k/14yrs ago. I reused spindle then, but dont remember if the wear was there or not. It was a marathon 16hrs project in a another mudder's driveway, so we werent being too picky. TIghtened preload once post-axle service, then drove for many years. Has driven fine. Doing front axle as PM, so no symptoms I am aware of.

Spindle [outer bearing wear spot has a slight edge that you can just grab with a razor blade. Inner bearing wear spot is visible, but no edge. Can wait for new spindles if need to be replaced.]
PXL_20210918_034515167.jpg

Outer bearing [doesnt look good to me, but I dont know how bad. Replacing bearings/races anyway.]
PXL_20210918_042002760.jpg

Inner bearing [this one looks fine to me, but not sure if those diagonal lies are manufacturing marks or not]
PXL_20210918_042420859.jpg

And finally hub outer bearing race seat [looks burned, but again I dont have an idea of how bad. Same as spindle, can wait for new hubs if needed] PS- FIPG was there before me. Prior owner smashed the flange edge trying to get it off, created a burr so the flange wouldnt seat and solved it with FIPG. It has been filed smooth and FIPG remnants removed. I didnt catch it the first time since we were racing the clock.
PXL_20210918_042957172.jpg

AND BONUS QUESTION - distal edge of axle splines that seat in birf look kinda funky but I wasnt really planning to do anything about it. Figured maybe from slamming it home?
PXL_20210918_043407057.jpg

Thank you for making it this far. Appreciate your thoughts.

Looks like the bearings spun around the spindle and races spun in the hub. The axle splines are damaged at the “distal” end as you pointed out but probably not a problem.

Definitely in need of new spindles and bearings. I would, at a minimum, measure the hub bearing race recesses and compare to the new bearing race O.S. dia. to see if you still have an interference fit.

Because I like to throw money at my cruiser, I’d buy all new parts for peace of mind especially if you plan to keep your 80 and go 14 more years on this axle service.

Last edited:
Spindles are junk because the hub seal area has been cut deep as well due to loose wheel bearings.

You need to make sure you tighten the wheel bearings correctly when you reassemble.

Thanks guys. New spindles, hubs, and flanges ordered. What the hell, a decade of zero trouble, she deserves it.

Ok, so both birf bell housings have wear marks in them as well and one cage has a couple chips. Going to replace.

Great news though! Learned my truck was manufactured June 1994 which means I already have the longer outer axle (246.5mm, just confirmed with caliper) and can keep birfs and flanges as trail spares.

PXL_20210918_220154366.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom