Front axle replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Had my 82 fj40 in the shop and turns out my front axle is rusted......where can i get the least expensive but still good quality front axle. sor wants 150 for a used one and 400 new... any tips or pointers are well appreciated. thanks

Rusted axle? What does that mean? Need some details on condition . . .

ok..... this is a perfect example of why you should never have a mechanic relay info to your mom and then get the info fromy our mom... wow she can mess things up. it actually the ball joint that had a some pitting in it and was letting grease get through......totally different that what she told me. if worse come to worse i will need ne axle housing.

By ball joint do you mean tie rod end, or do you mean CV joint (or birfield)? Or do you mean the end of the axle housing where the knuckle is mounted? That would make more sense now that I've read your post again.

IMO that is no reason to get another axle housing. Just replace the axle seals, repack the knuckles and birfields with grease, and replace the felt and rubber seals on the inner surface of the knuckle. All of the parts can be had in a knuckle rebuild kit, including the knuckle bearings, for about $100 or less. Best to go OEM with the axle seals.

See here for an exploded view of the front end. The 2nd picture down the page shows the front end. Parts 61 & 62 are in the oil seal set on the inner side of the knuckle (part 13). The rest of the knuckle rebuild consists of replacing the axle seal (part 59), the knuckle bearings (part 39 x2), and the hub seal (part 35).

Scroll down to see the various kits SOR offers. There are cheaper ones out there.

[quote author=Cruiserhead05 link=board=1;threadid=5668;start=msg44930#msg44930 date=1064530490]
ok..... this is a perfect example of why you should never have a mechanic relay info to your mom and then get the info fromy our mom... wow she can mess things up. it actually the ball joint that had a some pitting in it and was letting grease get through......totally different that what she told me. if worse come to worse i will need ne axle housing.
[/quote]

dats funny, I'm no help but thanks for the good laugh :)

Hey cruiserman, we decided to do exactly what you said. it will all be done tomorrow. it should work out fine without any major expenses. thanks though

I've had good results with www.CruiserParts.net out of Northfield,New Hampshire. 888-941-3450 fax 603-286-3176.
I bought an FJ40 tranny cover for $35. They sent me detailed pics of the part via e-mail before I bought it. Good service and answered questions,like how da' heck do you get that shift lever out. :doh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom