front axle noise (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Recently did a tune-up on my FJ62, including chassis lube. Today, I went out and locked up the hubs because it's still freakin' snowing in the Colorado mountains, and I got this noise from the front axle. I stopped, unlocked hubs, noise went away. I stopped, engaged 4wd w/unlocked hubs, noise came back. &nbsp:Disengaged 4wd, noise went away. So it seem the noise only happens when the front axle is turning, and it starts up around 25mph. The noise isn't bad, but it doesn't sound good. Gets worse as you go faster. No vibration in the cab.

When I did the chassis lube, I used standard #2 lithium grease, and hit all the fittings in the manual, including the birfields. What did I do wrong?

Does you front diff have any fluid in it? Also your knuckles should have moly grease. Whens the last time your Birf's were repacked?

Front diff has plenty of fluid. Have no idea when the Birfs were repacked. Moly grease, heh? Hmmm. This noise only started after I filled the knuckle from the grease hole. So, I'm probably going to have to pull the knuckle apart?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom