From a four-speed to a five speed and exhaust (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Since I am adding the 5 speed with split transfer case, will the factory exhaust, which i have to replace, fit this set up. Or, is this more along the lines of a custom exhaust shop?

What year. Make and model vehicle are we talking about here?

Yes, exhaust routing will not change assuming it is factory and nothing weird has been done. Do you plan to use the bellhousing mounts and hang it that way or change to under trans cross member such as the early 3pc of later 1 piece, or custom? Depending on crossmember choice and if you have a completely factory exhaust will tell you if anything needs changing. Sometimes folks tuck the exhaust higher above skidplate so that could affect cross members.

Yes, exhaust routing will not change assuming it is factory and nothing weird has been done. Do you plan to use the bellhousing mounts and hang it that way or change to under trans cross member such as the early 3pc of later 1 piece, or custom? Depending on crossmember choice and if you have a completely factory exhaust will tell you if anything needs changing. Sometimes folks tuck the exhaust higher above skidplate so that could affect cross members.
I was told we will have to re-locate the crossmember because of the bellhousing of the new 5speed

I was told we will have to re-locate the crossmember because of the bellhousing of the new 5speed
The answer is usually yes you should becuase the added weight of h55/split case is deemed excessive for the bellhousing mounts. Your call, I've seen both done. I have a loose 4spd and split case, I should weigh it against the 4spd and one piece t-case and lastly....against an h55 with splitcase. See what the true numbers yield.

If your using a hand brake on the back of the split transfer case then plan on having to relocate torque tube behind the transfer case. 9/72 the torque tube moved a little further back and changed shape. Without the hand brake the fit. I have even seen the hand brake squeezed in a few times but wouldn't recommend it. 1/79 relocated the exhaust outside the frame on the FJ4X and HJ4X series. May have on the BJ4X as well. Because of the extra heat in the exhaust with the CAT 1/79-7/80 the exhaust was split into two smaller pipes and run under the frame to to get out side. Others markets was run above. 8/80 a heat shield was added to the firewall and run above for 81-83 here in the US. Personally like the outside the frame exhaust. But also perfer the hand brake on the rear axle like it was on 8/80 40 series short and mid wheel base.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom