Friends 96 Taco 4wd issues... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.facebook.com
First I'm a 60 guy...first Taco expirience excuse me if these seem like silly questions, yes I did search, with very little luck.

My friend and I were doing a little light wheeling in his 96 taco the other day and he put it in 4low to climb a slick hill but the front tires were never connected. One of the rear tires was spinning like mad but niether of the front tires were doing a thing. I'm not at all familiar with the 4wd system, so...does it have vacuum hubs? Axle disconnect? Or is the front axle always connected?

Any ideas, information or general thoughts are greatly appreciated!

First I'm a 60 guy...first Taco expirience excuse me if these seem like silly questions, yes I did search, with very little luck.

My friend and I were doing a little light wheeling in his 96 taco the other day and he put it in 4low to climb a slick hill but the front tires were never connected. One of the rear tires was spinning like mad but niether of the front tires were doing a thing. I'm not at all familiar with the 4wd system, so...does it have vacuum hubs? Axle disconnect? Or is the front axle always connected?

Any ideas, information or general thoughts are greatly appreciated!

AFAIK, Unless it has manual hubs up from they are ADD (automatic disconnecting differential) and is vacuum actuated.

http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/2000/Repair Manual/Suspension and Axle/Front Diff Carrier/disa.pdf
(bottom of page 1 ADD)

http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/2000/Repair Manual/Suspension and Axle/Front Diff Carrier/repl.pdf
(bottom of page 3 ADD)

I would check for vacuum at the ADD then check the operation of it, by manually applying vacuum.

this is gonna sound stupid too but make sure he doesnt have a busted CV. they can look good from a quick glance under the truck but if one is broken all the power will go to it and the other will do nothing leaving you with just rear wheel power.

He has manual hubs. The previous owner was kind enough to put aftermarket wheels with hub covers on (just bought the truck a few weeks ago). When he had new tires put on he noticed this. Explains why he couldnt find the ADD when I told him exactly where to look...

lol thats great. dont you just love stupid people. glad to hear it was an easy fix.

Yep, it works. Thanks for the help though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom