Freaky Winch runaway (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I wonder what happened here?

Just hooked up the remote controller to my Warn XD 9000 winch on the trail.
Then I tried to spool the cable out ......... and then the winch just keeps running and running.
The remote seems not work so I unplug the remote and the winch is still running.
:mad:
And now on top of everything SMOKE is coming out from under the hood, I quickly open the hood to disconnect the negative terminals on the 2 batteries.

The negative terminal on the left battery had already melted in half.

Once I got both negative terminals disconnected the winch finally stopped running.

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

LandCrusher80

Last edited:
I had something similar happen on my 8274. Due to low battery voltage the remote was pulling more amps and it fused the two control wires together inside the solenoid pack. Not sure if that helps you, but it's and option to check out.

Brittain

Shorted solenoid.

Anyone connect their winch through a Frankenstein switch for this reason? I've been thinking about it.

50006.jpg

I recall many years ago when we designed an ac system for military trucks that was electrically powered by the vehicles batteries/ alternator. We used a 3 Hp DC motor to drive a variable disp compressor. Originally we had told the vehicle OEM engineer to increase the size of the engine alternator, but they didn't listen and it wasn't long before we got reports that the system was catching on fire. It turned out, as someone already mentioned, that as the voltage in the batteries drops, a DC series wound motor will respond by drawing more amps. It's a downward sprial, and evetually the amps become so great (500 - 700A:doh:), that the wires or something else catches fire.
On my truck I have a dual battery set-up with a marine switch (left switch for winch and right switch to combine batteries) that must be switched to supply power to the winch (not yet installed). I am also still thinking about using one of the large connectors down by the battery so that I can also easily disconnect the winch for removal etc.
IMGP0327.jpg

mmm....

this story is food for thought.

I already have a disconnect on my + main terminal. That takes care of possible issues with the starter getting stuck.

But then I connect the + of the winch to an auxiliary terminal on the (marine) battery when getting ready to winch only, so it's not on all the time (to avoid the taco stunt). It's held with a wingnut but now you have me thinking that if this thing starts to get way too hot it may not be that easy to unscrew in a hurry without gloves or tools..... mmm.... Some more planning needed.

Anyone connect their winch through a Frankenstein switch for this reason? I've been thinking about it.

50006.jpg

No, but that's exactly what I used to make a tool that grounded one plug at a time when I was tuning the carbs on my Yamaha XS 650 back in the day. I made a plastic case for it and everything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom