1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Frame off rebuild...

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by Blue60, Nov 14, 2003.

1. Blue60

Blue60

2/79 FJ40 frame...will probably attempt a rebuild in the Spring after prepping the frame this Winter. After I "prep" the frame (blast and POR), I want to build as much as I can before mounting the body and cowling. What's possible? I assume axles, suspension, brake lines, fuel lines...can I mount the motor? What else am I missing?

As always, I appreciate all insights, tips, and opinions!

Cheers, and keep on Cruising!

Dave

2. Archengine

Archengine

I just did this to a 2/79 truck aswell. Blasted the scale off the axle, por15 it and restored everything. Make sure to follow the por15 directions to a T. Surface prep is critical, and bare metal HAS to be treated with MEtal Ready and then cleaned again. Top it off with 2 coats of some thick tractor paint, much tougher and cheaper than equivalent auto paints. Timing your paint layers is also critical, with just slight finger drag between all coats, no more, and no less, unless you sand the last dried layer for tooth.
    As for what can be mounted before the body: all unsprung wight, motor, accessories, radiator, tranny and xfer, driveshafts, etc. I would save the brake lines and gas lines until you get the body on, unless you run them through the frame rails. I ran them along the frame rails, with outer wrap springs for rock protection. This way, you can get the lines perfectly tucked into body, and then to frame for the most out of the way mounting. If you have any questions about anything else during your rebuild, feel free to ask. Best of luck to you. And if you get really frustrated, just crack a cold one and admire your progress.